Pelagic Kaikoura

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Wandoona

Pelagic Kaikoura

Postby Wandoona » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 am

My wife Jan and I slipped down to Kaikoura from Blenheim for a chance to get on a pelagic trip.27/6/2018. It was a great day and I got some photos I was happy with. It was a toss-up whether we would go for the shoveler at Nelson as there was no time for both.
Here's a list. Great Albatross 1 Northern Royal,6 Southern Royal,5 Wandering .. Gibson's.. Albatross ..10 black-browed, 17 New Zealand White-capped, 2 Salvin's,51 Buller's.. Petrels 8 Giant- Northern,1 Giant- Southern, 3 Westland, 120 Cape petrel 1 Common Diving Petrel.
3 Fairy prions, Shearwaters 2 Fluttering, 1 Antarctic Fulmar, Shags 1 pied,1 spotted,1 little. 6 black-fronted terns. 30 black-backed gulls,6 black-billed gulls 20 red-billed gulls.
In addition we were right on sperm whales, Dusky and Hectors Dolphin. Thanks to Gary Melville skipper. To top it off I found cirl buntings (finally).

Return to “General Birding Discussion”