Future of the Whenua Hou diving petrel

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
fras444

Future of the Whenua Hou diving petrel

Postby fras444 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:23 am

I have always been fassinated with rare "native" bird species found in NZ found common elswhere. I think there is just a handful. White Her on, Nakeen night heron and the white tern to name a few. But one bird I had a fascination in and that is the South Georgian diving petrel. I don't really read many of the ocean trip reports in the past but am now but this bird never pops up on the list. (150 odd birds and the apparent difficulty in identifying them) has any of you guys been lucky to have seen one or, that sixth sense in seeing a common to have that feeling.. "I think I might have seen a SGDP...?"
Now that it has been found to be a seperate species... what future beholds such a rare species that is found in such a very specific habitat, both 'breeding wise and geographical' What measures can be taken to increase numbers and what options are there available to 'spread the range' so to speak. I understand it's not a case of a Kakapo or Orange fronted kakariki where one can capture a couple, hope they bread in captivity and find a sutible offshore island as a safe guard to the species future. What can you do with a species of finite numbers 'capturing a few could jeopardise the rest' found on the sand dunes that are at the mercy of mother nature. I've read in the old field guide suggesting a breeding colony was found on the Auckland islands? Wiped out in the 70s by cats and seals?
Can they naturally increase numbers then naturally spread? Can a handful be relocated? Can a oceanic species be bread in captivity etc... With a few loosely related case examples of the rare Chathams petrel and the NZ storm petrel.
What are your thoughts and going of the first line...has any been spotted from those on hear that frequent those birding charters

Return to “General Birding Discussion”