Anderson Park, Napier birds

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
FlyingKiwiGirl

Anderson Park, Napier birds

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm back in Napier at the moment and walking around the park on a regular basis. Back in late February when I was here I saw a Australian coot family with 2 very young chicks (looked like they had just hatched), I know a family was reported at the same time last year as well. Yesterday I counted 7 coots, 5 on the main pond and 2 on the model boat pond. Space might be at a premium for them because I watched three separate instances of a coot being chased by another (perhaps, either a chick being told to depart or an intruder in their patch).

I was also pleased to see two pair of dab-chicks (on main pond) and a singleton on the boat pond. I've visited Anderson Park many times over the years (used to live in Napier, now visit family who live nearby) and I don't ever recall seeing dab chicks.

So far (3 visits), I've only seen one of the plumed-whistling ducks, although I suspect the other one is on the island, I'm sure I heard it whistling.
NZ Forest Birds on Flickr
Look out for the Wetland & Waders, & Seabirds sets too.
Michael Szabo

Re: Anderson Park, Napier birds

Postby Michael Szabo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:54 am

Has anyone seen any Plumed Whistling Ducks at Anderson Park since the last report?
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Cheryl Walton

Postby Cheryl Walton » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm

We were there on Sunday (12/8/18) and only saw 1 near the main pond.
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks Cheryl
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand

Return to “General Birding Discussion”