Blenheim visit

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Roblyn

Blenheim visit

Postby Roblyn » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:27 pm

I will be in Blenheim for a couple of days shortly. Hope to check out the Bar, Lagoons, Taylor dam, Grasmere, Elterwater, Waihopai valley. Have I missed anything? Any advice on good locations for possible sightings - and photography! Thanks (not a birder but a bird photographer) ;)
Jake

Re: Blenheim visit

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:04 pm

There's a walkway at the lagoons called 'Kotuku Walkway' (I've just tried to add it to Google Maps). The parking lot/entry is on the left, a couple of hundred meters before the WTP parking area: apparently there are bitterns, rails and possibly fernbirds. I saw a kotuku, pair of ibis, pair of dabchicks, pipits and an absolute tonne of cirl buntings and redpolls a couple of months ago: it's worth going this way imo - you end up at the ship wreck.

One of the most consistent places to see cirl buntings is just after the boardwalk after the second bank if you go t the lagoons via the WTP carpark way.

You could give the Marlborough Falcon Trust a bell, but they're in the throws of breeding season.

I spent a couple of days trying to see the black kite and didn't. I asked a few of the vineyard managers and they knew of it, but hadn't seen it. Your time could perhaps be better spent by shooting over to Nelson to see the woodducks and Northern shoveler (if he's still there). The woodducks are pretty much a sure thing as far as getting pictures.

Good luck with your trip and pictures!
Roblyn

Re: Blenheim visit

Postby Roblyn » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks Jake for your thorough response. The Kotuku option at the Lagoons sounds like a good option!

Return to “General Birding Discussion”