Birds NZ reportable species list

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
sav

Birds NZ reportable species list

Postby sav » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am

Hi all,

I was about to submit an Unusual Bird Report for the Hudsonian Godwit on Sunday, and happenned to take a look at the Birds NZ list of reportable species.
http://www.osnz.org.nz/sites/osnz.org.n ... pecies.pdf

To my surprise a UBR was not required for the Hudsonian Godwit...........

The Rarities Assessment Committee will be updating the list soon, so if anyone has any suggestions as to what should/should not be there I'd be happy to receive them.

Species not on the NZ List, and extinct species are already on the hit list, and there are recent additions like Red-footed Booby to include. I'll sort out the splits for Stewart Is Shags and Saddlebacks as well.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Steve Wood

Re: Birds NZ reportable species list

Postby Steve Wood » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi Sav,

Herald Petrel should also be added.

Thanks
Steve
Mandyjane

Postby Mandyjane » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Is the comment re Common Myna correct ? Or is the "normal" Myna we see not called Common Myna ? :-)
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 am

It is the Common myna we see, however they are not found in the South Island and very rare in the southern North Island making them a reportable species in those areas.
https://www.instagram.com/oscarkokako/ - NZ List (205) Glossy Ibis, Hauraki, Waikato

Return to “General Birding Discussion”