Request for help in South Island

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jim_j

Re: Request for help in South Island

Postby Jim_j » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Sounds fantastic Ken - I was aware that there have been several transfers of mohua to this area over recent years after the entire Eglinton Valley population was virtually wiped out.
It's great that the transfers have been a success and the place is once again one of the best for bush birds in NZ.
How were the y/c parakeets doing?- when I was there a few years ago they were very common.
Cheers Jim
kengeorge

Re: Request for help in South Island

Postby kengeorge » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Heard y/c parakeets further back in the bush around Lake Gunn, but didn't get close enough to view them. Good numbers of kaka, kea, SI robins, kereru, black fronted terns, both shinning and long tail cuckoo, warblers, tomtits, and more chaffinch than I've seen anywhere else, really common. Also heard falcon calling regularly. Interesting thing about the Eglinton Valley chaffinch is that the typical chaffinch call is starting to change, with an added bit that I've not heard chaffinch make anywhere else.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”