Canterbury Big Year

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Adam C

Re: Canterbury Big Year

Postby Adam C » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Yes brooklands Lagoon seems another, close to home, A-grade spot in theory. Access a bit unknown to me but I'm sure once some effort is put in it can be worked out. Even viewing from the platform at Waikuku gives a good view of the top end. One I'd like to spend more time at anyway :)
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Andy Trowbridge

Postby Andy Trowbridge » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Adam C wrote:Hi all. noticed quite a few reported Bittern sightings in October at hearts creek. As this is one bird thats always avoided me where are people seeing them? In the Raupo around the track to the hide or out in front? I'm 99% sure I saw one flying over the far raupo from the hide last year but it was so distant I cant really count it. Could possibly have been a heron flying in in the low light. Anyway any tips for where to concentrate our search would be great. Love to get this one on my life list yet alone the Canterbury big year list :)

Adam

Adam

I've seen them fairly regularly at the mouth of Harts Creek (from the eastern bank), especially in late Sept.-Oct. Generally in the mornings and they are in flight.

Andy
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:35 pm

Ha! Mr Trowbridge! How the heck are you? You back in NZ? Need to catch up! And thanks! Got one booming last week down there but yet to actually get a visual.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Andy Trowbridge

Postby Andy Trowbridge » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:13 am

Adam, yep back in NZ, been back for awhile now. Yep catch up sounds good.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi folks, well we're now into the final 3 weeks of the Canterbury BIG YEAR now. Hopefully many of you will be out on Lake Ellesmere tomorrow helping out with the wader count - people often ask, or wonder out loud, how many of species x are on the lake, or is xyz number of a species a high count or not - well the only way to really keep tabs on that is by teaming up for a full lake census effort eh?

A couple of tips for those who still need Gannet or Reef Heron - I've seen Gannets this week at Amberley Beach, Upper Akaroa Harbour and Birdlings Flat, so they're back in our waters. There's also early Arctic Skuas about.

A Reef Heron put in an appearance amongst a flock of Canada Geese at Port Levy yesterday. At the mouth of the creek just before the village by the island.

Reef Heron.JPG
Reef Heron.JPG (84.63 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Return to “General Birding Discussion”