Canterbury Big Year

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Adam C

Re: Canterbury Big Year

Postby Adam C » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Yip only 'bird of slight interest' I got at Embankment was 1 Turnstone. Jack and I were covering the back away from the shore though so pickings were VERY lean other than small groups of dots and swallows hunkering down out of the wind. Yes also keen to know how the Selwyn River/Rennies Bay crews got on.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:31 pm

I understand very little of anything was seen in the 2 areas you mention, Adam. The weather wasn't very good for spotting rarities with the gale force southerly, though this did abate somewhat. I am guessing the totals will be rather down this year with a lot of birds taking shelter on farmland. Not a single SWPLover in my patch for instance. It is very good of people to do this count year after year [this is the 7th] as it is really hard work and pretty thankless in terms of the results not contributing much to the future health and knowledge base of ecology at this really important site. For instance Fish and Game who you would think would like to know about the numbers of waterfowl never ever turn up to help. Nor do Ngai Tahu who own the lake bed and who put spokes in the plans of wetland enthusiasts who would like Lake Ellesmere to be recognised as an Internationally Important Wetland, or 'Ramsar' site. Sometimes people who work for Ngai Tahu do come and help and are much appreciated. If only Ecan would stop the nutrient load from farmland getting worse and worse and stop opening the lake so there is virtually no habitat left when there's a dry summer like now. I despair.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm

I was only too happy to help! As you say it was just a shame about the weather. Just a shame for those that don't usually visit the lake to see it so chilly and bleak!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Sounds like a bleak day. Was sorry to have not been able to help. Have been roasting in the Victoria Ranges/Lewis Pass area instead.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 am

This big storm coming next week could be a prime time to spot pelagics off the end of the Peninsula/Birdlings flat etc.
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 9.23.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 9.23.10 AM.png (3.05 MiB) Viewed 2242 times

Samuel Ullman
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Or a great time for a pelagic out of Kaikoura assuming the swell is calm enough to get out.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi folks, a couple of hot tips - some of us went up to the north arm of the Ashley today in search of the legendary Whimbrel - yep, it was there alright, happily feeding alone near the point where the arm narrows from the wide open Saltwater Creek confluence to where the pines start:

Whimbrel1.JPG
Whimbrel1.JPG (38.6 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

whimbrel2.JPG
whimbrel2.JPG (81.97 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

Also saw a Collared Dove close to the CCC Bottle Lake ranger HQ, according to Kenny Rose, there are a small number regularly seen there.

barbary.JPG
barbary.JPG (100.73 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 am

Sorry AC have to ask. No curlew?

Samuel Ullman
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:01 pm

Glad that has now been found. In case helpful the yellow mark is where I saw what was probably the same whimbrel on Jan 1. Tide was moving into the saltwater creek arm. For stunning photographic special effects mid morning provides direct sightlines into glorious reflecting sunlight.
ashley whimbrel.jpg
ashley whimbrel.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Yep that's where I've seen the Curlew in the past (yellow dot) Looks like good access from Maori Road but I've heard rumors the locals are a bit weird and fire arrows at you lol. Just have to push in from the bottom at low tide again.

Samuel Ullman

Return to “General Birding Discussion”