Canterbury Big Year

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jan

Re: Canterbury Big Year

Postby Jan » Wed May 01, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi Grahame, I was there this morning, about 11-ish. Also saw the northern gentleman - he appeared with 3 others in tow from the back of the little island in that 1st pond nearest you on the left. It was also the first time I've seen all those Little Black Shags (8) roosting together on the little wall-thing at the edge of the pond.
The dog has a broken bone in her foot and we are immobilised for 6 wks as she can't be relied on not to destroy her cone and bandages if left alone. Still wants to hurl down the garden, splint and all, after those darn rabbits. Good job those birds can be seen from the car, or bike.
wazzagonewild

Postby wazzagonewild » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:29 am

Lately I've been regularly seeing up to 3 barbary doves on the corner of Marshland Rd and Prestons Rd. Unsure of their origin but I presume escapees?
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:45 pm

Nice tip WGW. Yet to add those to the list. Often out that way with work so will keep my eyes up!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi, yep, those Barbary Doves are part of a feral population that's been established for 10-15+ years, and is presumably comprised of birds that escaped from captivity or were released. The map below shows the areas (red dots) where I've seen them or have received reports in recent years.

barbary Dove.JPG
barbary Dove.JPG (75.55 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:07 pm

The Lake Ellesmere wader count was held today, with counters trying their best to get in windows of survey time between roll-ins of fog and rain. In the afternoon though the bad weather passed through and the lake was awash with brilliant sunlight.
Not a bird pic - but something from the day - the fog was very low around the base of the Port Hills, turning into bright sunshine less than 50 metres above the ground. As I was heading out to the count I noticed that the bright rays of the rising sun were being reflected by windows on houses just at the very top of the fog layer. The light was then recast back into the fog and the effect was pretty cool.

Here's a pic:
reflection.JPG
reflection.JPG (33.65 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
wazzagonewild

Postby wazzagonewild » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:06 pm

I had no idea about the Barbary doves - very interesting, thank you!
3130birdie

Postby 3130birdie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:46 pm

It was cold, damp & foggy on sunday morning, then we got hammered with rain, then some sunshine & weather did clear a little bit, just as we were leaving to depart for home, having checked nearly all assigned spots a colourful rainbow came out smiling at us ... it was taking the mickey i reckon!

I would put up photo of the rainbow if i knew how to add to this site. Have clicked on img to no avail
GrahameNZ

Postby GrahameNZ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:15 pm

90% sure there was a Northern Shoveler at Horseshoe Lake around midday today.
It had its head tucked down, clean white breast and what looked like the larger white patch to the rear.
It could have been one of the faux shovelers that lurk about, but if it is it's a good copy.
Was passing by in a car with non birders so couldn't stop and wait for it to put it's head up.
A bit south of where the ducks mainly get fed.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi Grahame, I found this bird in the spot you described - everything cxhecks out for Northern Shoveler, incl a green head, but............ crescent....

shov.JPG
shov.JPG (40.27 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

IMG_4723.JPG
IMG_4723.JPG (505.86 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

IMG_4753.JPG
IMG_4753.JPG (516.96 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
GrahameNZ

Postby GrahameNZ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Bugger :)
Haven't had a chance to get back for a proper hunt for it.
Next
Cheers Andrew

Return to “General Birding Discussion”