Oriental Cuckoo in Whanganui Bird Rescue

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Paul Gibson

Oriental Cuckoo in Whanganui Bird Rescue

Postby Paul Gibson » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Whanganui Bird Rescue called me yesterday to say they had in an Oriental Cuckoo, so I went for a look. Apparently it had come to them from Wellington Zoo for rehabilitation, so am not sure where it was found, likely in lower North Island. The bird was very active and rebelling against being in an aviary, and will be released when its damaged tail grows again. Photography was near impossible, through netting and into full sun. However, a very nice bird to see, although in captivity.
A47I7585s.jpg
A47I7585s.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Steve Wood

Re: Oriental Cuckoo in Whanganui Bird Rescue

Postby Steve Wood » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:05 am

Hi Paul,
Do you think the rescue center will be happy to inform somebody of the release schedule ?
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:36 am

Hi Steve, I have just spoken with the rescue centre and it is their wish to release the bird somewhere in Northland, possibly around Whangarei. I have had an experienced birder offer to transport the bird from Whanganui up to Northland and the rescue centre is very interested in this offer, so I will post further info once I know more.
Steve Wood

Postby Steve Wood » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity, did the centre give any reason for the release site to be Northland?
melissab

Postby melissab » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:21 pm

The Cuckoo was found in the Akatarawa Valley (assuming there's only been one Oriental Cuckoo in Wellington in the past month or so). My sister found it and drove it to The Nest at Wellington Zoo, this was on December 1st. She didn't get an update from The Nest so she'll be pleased to know it's still alive!
Photo 1-12-18, 10 28 15 AM.jpg
Photo 1-12-18, 10 28 15 AM.jpg (564.49 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm

What was ailing it? I'm guessing more than missing tail feathers.
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Very interesting to know where this cuckoo was found, thank you Melissa. Yes, it is very much alive. Like Neil, I wonder what it was ailing from when found? When it arrived in Whanganui two weeks or so ago, it was not very strong, but with good food it has really come to life.
You asked Steve why the plan is to release it in Northland, I'm sorry but I don't know. Maybe warmer up there?
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:52 pm

viewtopic.php?t=7976 This sighting seems a lot more credible now...
Steve Wood

Postby Steve Wood » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks for the update.
Not wanting to upset anyone but I do have to question the benefits of driving the bird for 7.5 hrs (600km) in a box? Or
am I missing something? It’s an accomplished migrant, and transport by car would likely stress it unnecessarily which would be such a shame.
Anyone’s thoughts?
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Someone possibly has the mistaken belief that a release in Northland positioned it closer to Asia than elsewhere in the country? But we've had discussion on this before - if they want it to fly home to Asia via Australia, they'd be better to release it in Fiordland as its 100s of kms closer. But yeah, stressing and confusing it by a long translocation are both likely to be highly counter-productive to its chances for survival....

Return to “General Birding Discussion”