St Anne's Cape Barren Geese

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
sav

St Anne's Cape Barren Geese

Postby sav » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone seen Cape Barren Geese at St Anne's Lagoon near Cheviot in the last year or so? Or know what has happened to them?

None of the Wrybill Tours groups has seen them this Summer and so I wonder if we may have lost the only "tickable" population of the species in NZ - unless someone can vouch for the ones in the Far North, or somewhere else?

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
scaber

Re: St Anne's Cape Barren Geese

Postby scaber » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:20 pm

A group of us saw three there last year, pretty well hidden on the far side of the lake from the car park area, and myself and a friend saw 2 on Lake Ellesmere down near the end of the spit earlier this year but how reliable they are is anyones guess!
Greg Mckenzie
sav

Postby sav » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks. Can you tell me when in the year you saw them at St Annes? I dont believe any at Lake Ellesmere could be countable.

cheers
Sav Saville
Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Why not tickable at Lake Ellesmere, Sav? They are being bred inland from Ashburton but Lake Ellesmere is a fair way from there.
sav

Postby sav » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:59 pm

I think there have been farmyard CBGs around Ellesmere for a long time.
Sav Saville
Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:40 pm

When I've seen them around Ellesmere they aren't that tame, but i suppose more lifestylers may have birds that we don't know about. How often are you here though, to be honest it's a long bow to be saying something that definite about somewhere a very long way from your patch?
sav

Postby sav » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Hey Jan,

Jeez! Even you cant explain how "I think....." becomes "saying something that definite".

So where do you think the birds that you have seen there have come from? They have not come from Australia.

The fact that I dont live in Canterbury has very little to do with it. "Your patch" is a wierd concept to me. I travel all over NZ (and elsewhere) and so I guess I consider it all a place that I know to some extent.

BTW Birds appearing "tame", or wary, means nothing. Dont you think that once a goose has jumped the fence from its farm, it might well be less inclined to be caught again?

Take it easy,

cheers
Sav Saville
Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Golly you are getting techy in your old age, sav!! i intend to take it easy as you suggest, as I'm having a hip hop next week. You can't spell weird either.

The Cape Barren Geese around Ellesmere may have come from St Anne's or elsewhere around Canterbury, who knows? They are sufficiently exceptional birds to see that i reckon any sighting is nice, if not stricly worth a tick in your book.
scaber

Postby scaber » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 pm

sav wrote:Hi Greg,

Thanks. Can you tell me when in the year you saw them at St Annes? I dont believe any at Lake Ellesmere could be countable.

cheers

Hi Sav
It was the 14th July 2018, round mid to late afternoon.
Greg Mckenzie
Patrick Crowe

Postby Patrick Crowe » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:38 am

Mike Bell saw one there at the end of September last year. There is a record on eBird for one at the start of November last year also

Return to “General Birding Discussion”