Grey Duck Photos

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Ian McLean

Grey Duck Photos

Postby Ian McLean » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:01 am

Hi there
I am the Grey Duck, Campaign Manager for Bird of the Year 2019 & I am looking for photos of pure Grey Ducks & permission to use them. The photos would of course be credited to the photographer & may be used in on the Bird of the Year website, on facebook & other social media, in newspapers & perhaps on TV.
If you are keen to assist in providing photos it would be very much appreciated. My plan is to raise awareness of the plight of the bird, have it removed from the game bird list & actually stimulate some conservation action.
Please kindly send me a personal message with any pictures if you are keen to help.
Cheers
Ian McLean

P.S. Attached is a photo of group of what look to be pure Grey Duck at Lake Rotopounamu.
Grey Duck #2.jpg
Grey Duck #2.jpg (550.84 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Clinton9

Re: Grey Duck Photos

Postby Clinton9 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Our Grey ducks are endangered now, due hybridizing with wild Mallard ducks, and need full protection (NO more shooting for Grey ducks).

To increase their numbers, the wild Mallard ducks need be eradicated out of New Zealand,

The man named Cecil Whitney is the person that done importing the wild Mallard ducks into New Zealand, unfortunately he is dead now.
If he were alive today, he would be arrested and jailed for importing the wild Mallard ducks into New Zealand.

Wild Mallard ducks readily had hybridized with patekes (Brown teals) and Grey teals, and our Paradise shelducks are next birds for Mallard ducks to hybridize.

So Mallard ducks have to go and be replaced by our native Grey ducks.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”