Muscovy Duck

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Grahame

Muscovy Duck

Postby Grahame » Tue May 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Having seen three cases of Muscovy Duck on e bird recently, I thought the following might be of interest. I did not see the three birds concerned, so can pass no comment on their parentage.

I have twice seen one in Karangahake, two and three years ago, and I felt they were both of dubious parentage. They are notorious for hybridising in their native countries, in Costa Rica, of the eleven I saw, only two looked OK. A similar situation I found in Brazil and Guyana. About ten years ago, I took park in a survey of them in the Ely, Cambridgeshire area, and of the 50+ seen and photographed, the opinion was that none were pure, although two were close.

Cheers, Grahame
RussCannings

Re: Muscovy Duck

Postby RussCannings » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:38 pm

By pure, do you mean mallard hybrids or white domestic types? Obviously if one parent was a non-musc or hybrid they all would be unpure?

Saw a few clean looking muscovy families in the gorge this summer. I find that pale blonde ducklings turn into white muscovys (the classic domestic form) and the mottled brown ones end up being mottled adults (or the all dark wild phenotypes).

Russ

Return to “General Birding Discussion”