Long-tailed Cuckoo

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Steve Richards

Long-tailed Cuckoo

Postby Steve Richards » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:28 am

I have been having a discussion with an Aussie chap about our long-tailed cuckoo, and posted an image with the name of the bird plus its genus.

Long-tailed Cuckoo are also know as Koekoeā (Eudynamys taitensis) which I had got from Birds Online.

He replied: Wrong genus though, Pacific Long-tailed Cuckoo, a.k.a. Long-tailed Koel, a.k.a. Koekoeā (Urodynamis taitensis).

Can anyone tell me which is correct
Ian Southey

Re: Long-tailed Cuckoo

Postby Ian Southey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:31 am

Steve

As far as I know one genetic study has suggested that Long-tailed Cuckoos are more closely related to the Channel-billed Cuckoo than koels even though they look similar. This would support Urodynamis but it is only one uncorroborated study so far and I think the checklist has chosen to stick with Eudynamis until it is confirmed. I'm not sure that anyone has tried to do so yet.

Ian
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:06 pm

I note that both IOC and Birdlife International have adopted Urodynamis.

Cheers
Simon
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:16 am

So has iNaturalist. But if as Ian says this is based on just one study I can understand why the checklist people are holding fire. They sure look like koels.
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 pm

I had seen Long-tailed cuckoo in bush behind National Park Village on January this year.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”