non NZ birds mistakenly shown as NZ birds....

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
lloydesler

Re: non NZ birds mistakenly shown as NZ birds....

Postby lloydesler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:25 pm

It's not just birds folks, spot the tuatara!!
IMG_00033.jpg
IMG_00033.jpg (328.42 KiB) Viewed 293 times
mikullashbee

Postby mikullashbee » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Hahaha. Definitely an entertaining thread. There was a billboard on Shands Rd coming into CHCH, i'd be damned if I can remember exactly what they were advertising (perhaps an adventure park or ski field) it said ' Have a Falcon good time'. But rather than the amazing New Zealand Falcon they had a Peregrine Falcon on their sign. Come on!!!
Cheers
Mike Ashbee
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:13 pm

Here's a partially relevant page from a strange old book about NZ nature; titled, 'Man Against Nature' (Lockley, R.M. 1970).
tornis 3.jpg
tornis 3.jpg (555.05 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Then there are cases in which birds from overseas are claimed to have been recorded in New Zealand, when in reality, they never have been. These are usually understandable, such as the ninth edition of Pizzey & Knight's Australian bird guide saying that the Australian Pratincole is a vagrant to NZ. A more confusing example was in a book that I have unfortunately lost and forgotten the title of; it said that the Crested Shriketit (or a similar small Australian forest bird) exists on the Kermadec Islands.
what in god's name is a folly tomo
Jake

Postby Jake » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:36 pm

The imagery around the Brook "community group" protests would've been fairly humorous, if the protesters weren't so aggressive; it also highlighted how much they knew. If my memory serves me, they used a college of 1) an Asian species of pigeon (rather than a kereru), 2) some foreign species of gecko/lizard, 3) NZ falcon and 4) RF kakariki. Only NZ falcon were present in the area at the time; probably doesn't help that very few of organisers were from the area

Return to “General Birding Discussion”