non NZ birds mistakenly shown as NZ birds....

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
andrewcrossland

Re: non NZ birds mistakenly shown as NZ birds....

Postby andrewcrossland » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 pm

an identity-confused Kaka

kea 3.JPG
kea 3.JPG (78.67 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:33 am

Here’s another instance of the common kingfisher being used in a relatively major role; this time in the logo of a leather product company that is based in Whangārei.
Leather.png
Leather.png (5.01 MiB) Viewed 2785 times
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Finn Davey wrote:Anyway, check out the Fantail on the RH side - anyone know what species it is?

Fantail.jpg

Looks like a White-spotted Fantail, from southern and central India

I have since discovered that the fantail in that photograph is actually used to represent the New Zealand fantail relatively frequently, but it is often edited to more closely resemble the New Zealand fantail. Here, this white-spotted fantail is presented as a New Zealand species on a tea towel, almost unedited, and amongst Kōwhai flowers with its indigenous cousin.
Radiation.png
Radiation.png (6.33 MiB) Viewed 2747 times
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:04 pm

Another wrong fantail...….

fantail 1.jpg
fantail 1.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:33 pm

This thread has clearly highlighted that kotare takes the prize for most commonly mixed up species. Many people apparently take them for granted and haven't really looked or are not interested in what they actually look like.
A lot of work must have gone into trawling for some of these examples, but no one should be surprised that royalty free stock images are misidentified. When a purchaser is only willing to spend a few dollars, and the photographer is getting a few cents from it, is either party going to care much? Mistakes happen, but you also get what you pay for.
While you have found lots of paintings that are wrong, I think some of the art criticism is getting a bit nit-picky. There is clearly room for for a bit of artistic license in some of these, and honest mistakes are probably better discussed directly in the first instance. Please don't let this turn into a negative exercise in unwarranted shaming. I feel this thread might be getting a bit tired.
Cheers
Neil
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 am

I tend to agree with Neil. This thread was started as a bit of fun and to get more hits than any other thread on birdingnz.net, I suspect. Since mainly birders read it, I wonder if it helps in educating non-birders at all.
Jake

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:08 pm

A few I've seen lately

First image some sort of stilt(?) from wetlands signage at Yealands vineyard

The Tree Sparrows really take the cake: four products for "wild birds" at Pack n' Save, from two companies; all featuring European Tree Sparrows rather than House Sparrows. All NZ made products for NZ retail
20210704_145134.jpg
20210704_145134.jpg (538.75 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
20210601_161939.jpg
20210601_161939.jpg (275.39 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
20210601_161931.jpg
20210601_161931.jpg (431.26 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Steps

Postby Steps » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:04 pm

This thread was started as a bit of fun and to get more hits than any other thread on birdingnz.net, I suspect. Since mainly birders read it, I wonder if it helps in educating non-birders at all.

I dont consider myself as a 'birder'
Yep breed and kept birds, including natives, over the yrs , notice birds when out in the boat.. thu must say would be, like sharks, hard pressed to ID certain species. Recognise many native and introduced species. Never been on a birding trip. Closest being is the annual backyard bird counts.
So at best and ex hiker, ex hot rodder and vintage car person now into fishing...
This thread is , I believe, far more important than simply bit of tongue in cheek stuff.
And far more important than Hot Rodders getting rather upset when the media puts up boy and street racers racers as pic for Hot Rodding, and visa versa putting Hot Rodders into boy racer and street racer idiots.

Sure there are example of what has been expressed as artist license.. Then there are Government, Councils, companies who on one hand express support and/or are there to preserve our animal life.
These the general public (and myself) look to for creditably, but cant even verify their emblems, logos and informational pictures, posters, and billboards are correct BEFORE publish.

Yes this thread is important, very important.. and those calling them out..
Well call a Hot Rodder a boy racer or street racer or put up a pic of the latter as a hot rodder.. I understand where they are coming from..
Keep up the great work guys.
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:23 pm

The packet of wildbird seed showing Tree Sparrows is most likely marketed all over the world with that picture. It is a budget brand after all. Do we really need to clog up birdingnz.net with this stuff? I respect Steps point of view but this is fodder for another site with a much wider audience than this.
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Jake wrote:First image some sort of stilt(?) from wetlands signage at Yealands vineyard

Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus), I believe.
I think that there is a mural in Waikanae that shows the same stilt species but I have yet to get a close look at it.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”