Black-Backed gull and Harrier interactions

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
fras444

Black-Backed gull and Harrier interactions

Postby fras444 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:06 pm

Driving along the central plateau, there are a number of BBked gulls feeding on carrion along with harriers and was wondering what your observations of these two "apex" predators interactions.
I've seen BB gulls mobbing them on offshore islands. I've seen a BB gull wait patiently as a harrier ate a fish on the mudflats in the east coast then take its turn after the harrier had finished and today, a harrier circling right past a BB gull sitting on a light post and not even flinching and a harrier swooping on a BB gull and chasing it off some carrion in the road...
On a lesser note....
What interactions like between NZ Falcons and BB gulls? I understand that Falcons have been reported preying on BB gulls... has that been confirmed? I've seen a falcon chasing off BB gulls from its nest near the rotorua redwoods, I felt it was on the back foot a little, as the BB gull did its alarm call and more turned up and in level flight... felt that the BB gull is far more adapt and agile than a falcon in that scenario. Swooping out and getting on the tail of the falcon.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”