Blackbird song

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
philbattley

Blackbird song

Postby philbattley » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:24 pm

I just heard my first proper blackbird song for the season at Massey uni just now. Have others had them singing yet around the country?
Phil
Richard Schofield

Re: Blackbird song

Postby Richard Schofield » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:58 pm

One singing for about 5 minutes in the garden in Balclutha on Tuesday 23rd, but none since (despite the spring-like weather).
kengeorge

Postby kengeorge » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 am

I'm curious about the seasonal gaps in the singing being reported in some places, because here in Golden Bay the song thrush's and blackbirds didn't take a break at all, just kept on singing all year. This includes one extraordinarily loud thrush in our neighbourhood in Pohara who was heard every day by us and many of our neighbours. Also, just in the last days, the chaffinch's have started their spring and summer descending che-che-che-che-che-che-chirrr calls. It's been a mild winter here, but spring can get a bit rough.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:37 am

In Gordonton (Waikato) we've had one thrush singing from a big poplar tree pretty much right through the winter, though the others round here have been mostly quiet. Heard that chaffinch song for the first time yesterday.
kengeorge

Postby kengeorge » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:34 am

Murphy's Law eh? Soon as I mention the blackbird and thrush still calling from last summer, the blackbirds seem to have gone all quiet! The thrush are still perched up and singing away though, and more and more chaffinch are joining in with the chaffinch spring trill.
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:29 pm

I had a bit of blackbird song at 6.20 am at home on Sunday and again yesterday but nothing to compare with the thrushes that sing from May onwards. I'm acutely aware of the lack of song earlier in the year when trying to teach bird calls to my ornithology class in Semester 1, when NOTHING of interest is singing...
Phil
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:34 pm

I heard my first blackbird, thrush and chaffinch songs this morning - I was surprised to have them so co-ordinated! Has anyone else been hearing these (as we all spend more time in our gardens...)
Liam Ballard
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Hi Liam,

Was your blackbird confirmed visually? They really are a winter/spring singer, but our silvereyes have been noisy, and one of those hiding away can sometimes give a surprisingly loud song.

I heard report of dunnock singing this week in the Manawatu, which is also pretty early I'd have thought.

Cheers, Phil
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 am

Nah not visually but I am certain it was a blackbird rather than a silvereye, it was singing for well over 2 minutes so I heard it quite well. Who knows though.
Cheers,
Liam Ballard
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:42 am

I'll accept that one as a Blackbird. :-) I recently had a soft song in our bushes, and when I looked, there was a blackbird in there as well as silvereyes...

Return to “General Birding Discussion”