NZ Birds erroneously shown on overseas movies

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
andrewcrossland

NZ Birds erroneously shown on overseas movies

Postby andrewcrossland » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:54 pm

I reckon Weta workshops and other digital movie makers have a lot to answer for when it comes to being clueless to the fact that NZ birds are not universally distributed around the globe........ I've seen Red-billed Gulls for instance on at least half a dozen foreign movies:

A case in point - the gull scene on the Hollywood movie, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid - the long haul" that I watched with my kids tonight - feeding chips to Red-billed Gulls through the sun roof of a car in the American mid-west! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbU12VKQqnE

wimpy kid 2.JPG
wimpy kid 2.JPG (29.72 KiB) Viewed 202 times

wimpy kid 1.JPG
wimpy kid 1.JPG (26.21 KiB) Viewed 202 times
David Riddell

Re: NZ Birds erroneously shown on overseas movies

Postby David Riddell » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:27 am

There was a morepork calling on The Fellowship of the Ring while Aragorn prepared a deer for dinner.
Another thing PJ and Co. got wrong in the LOTR movies was the moon was upside-down, i.e. as viewed from the southern hemisphere, when the story is set in Middle Earth's northern hemisphere. Supposedly Middle Earth is an earlier age of our own Earth, so you can't just say it's a fantasy world which may have had different fauna and satellites.

Also Trespasses, a rather bad movie from 1984 starring Patrick McGoohan, set in and around the Waitakeres. There was a waterfall location where there was always a kokako singing in the background - long before Ark in the Park translocations.

This kind of thing is not unique to New Zealand film makers though - the frog that goes "Ribbit, Ribbit" in innumerable movies set in locations all over the world is a species that just happens to be common around Los Angeles but otherwise has quite a restricted distribution.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”