Common mynas wanted!

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Anna Santure

Common mynas wanted!

Postby Anna Santure » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:10 pm

Kia ora koutou,

We are researching the genetic and morphological differences of common mynas (Acridotheres tristis) around the North Island and offshore islands of New Zealand. We would LOVE some more mynas to fill in some gaps we have in the distribution of our current samples.

Is anyone trapping mynas locally (or would be happy to do so for a short time?) and would please be able to collect some birds for us? Ideally, it would be amazing to have 10-15 per location, but even just a handful would be super helpful! If so, it would be wonderful if you could please contact me - either directly (asanture@gmail.com) or via this forum.

By the way, thank you again to the many of you that have been kind enough to reply to my previous questions regarding common mynas, and to send me mynas already!

Nga mihi nui,
Anna Santure
School of Biological Sciences, University of Auckland
Last edited by Anna Santure on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les

Re: Common mynas wanted!

Postby les » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:23 pm

do they need to be alive?
Anna Santure

Postby Anna Santure » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Hello Les,
I am so terribly sorry to have not replied to you - I had completely forgotten to tick the box to be notified when replies to my original message were posted, and so had been thinking noone had replied! Anyway - thank you for reaching out! We actually prefer mynas aren't alive, as it makes things a bit easier logistically! Generally people who have been kind enough to collect these for us have dispatched them locally and then popped them in a freezer before we then arrange collection / shipping to Auckland. If this would be possible for you, that would be amazing!
Thank you!
Anna
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Any chance you'd like some dead Spur Winged Plovers?

There's 60 on a shell bank opposite the Okura boat ramp atm, which was once home to several pairs of Dots etc.
Anna Santure

Postby Anna Santure » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Oh how sad about the Spur Winged Plovers, I wonder why so many have died (perhaps a disease outbreak?). Thanks for letting me know but no I can't think of a need for these at the moment.
Nga mihi,
Anna
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:50 pm

They're not dead yet, but I'm giving their demise some serious consideration.

They're displacing Dots etc around here.
Anna Santure

Postby Anna Santure » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Oh dear!

Return to “General Birding Discussion”