Rock Wrens in the Mount Cook area

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
DLCallahan

Rock Wrens in the Mount Cook area

Postby DLCallahan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:21 am

Hi all

Currently birding the South Island with one of my prime targets being Rock Wren. So far I've been unlucky with the two classic locations: the area above the footbridge on the Otira Valley track failed to produce any a few days ago (possibly because of being overrun with hikers), while the Homer Tunnel sites were inaccessible due to avalanche warnings yesterday. However, I'll be in the Twizel/Mount Cook area in a few days' time, and I was hoping that someone on this forum might be able to provide me with potential locations for the species in that region. Can anyone help?

Thanks, David
FraserGurney

Re: Rock Wrens in the Mount Cook area

Postby FraserGurney » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:08 am

Hi David, about five years ago I saw a single rock wren up the top of the Red Tarns track. The track starts in Mount Cook Village and is quite steep, but it's a beautiful walk regardless of whether you see any rock wren. Others may have more reliable suggestions, good luck with your search!
DLCallahan

Postby DLCallahan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks - I was certainly hoping the species was possible from some tracks around the mountain ...
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 am

Hi David,

The same as Fraser I’ve heard of people seeing them on the hill above the village up near the red tarns/Sealey tarns on the way to Mueller hut. I don’t know of anyone seeing them lower down on the hooker valley track etc. but the local doc office are worth contacting and would likely have more up to date information than I would sorry!
DLCallahan

Postby DLCallahan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks all! I’ve written via a friend to the DoC, so we’ll see ...

D

Return to “General Birding Discussion”