Three weeks around NZ

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
sav

Three weeks around NZ

Postby sav » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi all,

Two 21-day tours have just finished with totals of 162 and 165 species. I am going to be the last of 4 tours and admit to feeling intimidated by those numbers!!

All the normal species have been seen by both trips, so that is 4 sps of Kiwi ( not Great Spotted, which only heard), not Rock Wren because all of the Milford Road sites are closed, and the odd seabird also missed.

Brent is two thirds of the way through his tour and I'm just a week into mine.

There's no real competition between our guides, but if I could top 165 that would be good!!

About to leave North Island without seeing a falcon yet, so if anyone has a nest site that we could, respectfully, visit, please PM me - or call/text the phone number below.

027 680 3740

Cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Steve Bird

Re: Three weeks around NZ

Postby Steve Bird » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:06 pm

Matt Jones of Wrybill Tours was fabulous and our 165 species plus 1 heard was a fantastic result for Sunrise Birding's first tour of New Zealand. I think we could of of got to 170 as we missed a couple of things and also missed a pelagic because of bad weather!!! Good luck Sav.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”