Great Mercury Island

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
rukuhia

Great Mercury Island

Postby rukuhia » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 pm

I have just returned from a stint on Great Mercury Island assisting with Argentine ant eradication program.
The island has been clear of mammalian pests for over five years now and it was great to see the self reintroduction of many bird species.
Flocks of 9 kaka where a regular sight as well as pateke on most dams. There are at least 60 over the island.
Red fronted kakariki were common in the regenerating bush and most beaches had nz dotteral with chicks, one couple had 3 with them. There were at least 25 around the island.
I never had the chance to look for seabirds but apparently the are beginning to return and are nesting on remote areas closer to the other Mercury islands which are nature reserves.
Full credit to the owners of this private island for allowing and funding the eradication of pests from this beautiful part of New Zealand.
A full list of my observations is on eBird. Waikato Corcmandel area.
Bob Rigter
Patrick Crowe

Re: Great Mercury Island

Postby Patrick Crowe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Awesome stuff Bob and great Atlas checklists! Would love to get out to GMI someday.

I spend a lot of time on nearby Ohinau Island doing seabird research each year. Never seen or hear kakariki out there and only heard kaka fly over a few times. Huge numbers of Tusked Weta which were introduced to the island over 10 years ago and are continuing to spread over the island.
David Riddell

Re: Great Mercury Island

Postby David Riddell » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 am

Fantastic to hear about the tusked weta Patrick. We came so close to losing these amazing animals.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”