Moving at risk birds nests.

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
zarkov

Moving at risk birds nests.

Postby zarkov » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:22 pm

I was on the scene when a high tide inundated an Oyster catcher's nest at Okura today, so I moved the eggs above the high tide mark.

The birds gave me a good working over, but had resumed sitting on them before I left.

I realize I may have helped the "dumb nesting place gene" to continue for another generation, but the forecast N.E. will probably do for them anyway as there wasn't enough suitable high ground for a safe re-location.

Is there any preferred method of moving eggs any distance in that situation with some chance of success?
David Riddell

Re: Moving at risk birds nests.

Postby David Riddell » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:08 am

Back in 1983-84 I had a summer job looking after the shorebird colonies at Papakanui Spit with the Wildlife Service. While there I found a banded dotterel nest on the sandflats well below the high spring tide mark. Figuring there was nothing to lose I shifted it about 5 metres a day for about a week, each time the bird resumed sitting almost immediately. Eventually got it above the tide line, then a rat got the eggs - lots of rat burrows in the sand dunes, I did some trapping but didn't have enough traps to cover everywhere.

Alongside the nest was a large red scallop shell; i moved that along with the nest to help act as a landmark. That's about the only advice I could give, but it sounds like what you did worked pretty well.
Steps

Postby Steps » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 am

Not wild birds but may help.
We often moved kakariki nests/ nesting boxes between flights and aviaries...
Wait for the cock to go in to feed the hen sitting on eggs, or laying, swing the pre installed flap screwed to the front down over the entrance.
Move the whole lot to new location. re open 10 mins later.
Upto that point it was usually pairs that had just started to lay and removing from community flight into their own breeding flight.
The following had hens sitting and chicks at different stages of development..
On on occasion we closed off 1/2 doz or sp nesting boxes.. dismantled the aviaries and flights, loaded onto a trailer , transported about 100miles.
Re assembled the aviaries / flights.. by this time was just before dusk..screwed most of the nesting boxes to the walls, lifted the flaps.. and every pair/ chicks just carried on as normal.. nothing had happened .
2 nesting boxes had to wait till next day for their flights to be finish reassembled... again came out as if nothing happened
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:40 pm

Amazing - very tolerant birds!

Cheers
Jim
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:47 pm

A sad sight I used to see when I was still working, was birds nests built on/in truck trailers that suddenly re-located without the parent birds.

On brighter note, the car ferry to Fraser Island in Aussie has a resident Swift colony that shuttles a couple of kms back and forth to the mainland during daylight hours.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Now that is amazing..
Steps

Postby Steps » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:29 am

I suppose they are like most animals basic instincts.. move a lamb, calf,or puppy, kitten to a new paddock, location the mother will follow..
Have been wondering about the starlings nested in the cnr of our spouting /roof.. about relocation the nest material and chicks to a nesting box on the side of the shed.
They are into their 2nd nest at least now.
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Pleased to announce that the Oystercatchers at Okura have produced 3 little Oystercatchers.

I was pretty pleased when I saw them; hopefully they're smarter than their parents.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”