Lake Ellesmere 2019 State of Lake

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Adam C

Lake Ellesmere 2019 State of Lake

Postby Adam C » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi all.

Given the 2 emaciated bitterns found recently at Ellesmere does anyone know when the 2019 State Of The Lake report comes out? Checked the website and still only the 2017 report. As a fisherman I witnessed the crash in bullie numbers after 2016 (the last year I witnessed rafts of spawning bullies in the selwyn) and Im assuming this may have carried over to Long finned eel also. To be honest I gave up trout fishing in the Selwyn after 2017 & 2018 and it may well have bounced back...but I certainly havent heard any good reports.

Not trying to be all doom and gloom but Im pretty worried about this lake if basic native fish species are disappearing and bitterns are starving. I hope Im wrong and the 2 bitterns are an isolated case :/
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman

Return to “General Birding Discussion”