Banded Wrybill

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Adam C

Banded Wrybill

Postby Adam C » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Hey all.

Did a bit of a mission today and walked down to the mouth of the Halswell River at Ellesmere and then across the mouth and out onto the bay just to the South East. Covered a lot of ground and not much to report but a decent mob of approx 200 Wrybill with Banded Dotts and 3 BT Godwit. Also a good gang of 8x Phalcrocorax Carbo on the mud which are hard to find in roosts these days.

Anyway as I came back I decided to check out the Wrybill for any banded birds and there were 2 banded birds present. Photos attached. Only managed a few of the Orange Black banded bird but have included as many close ups as I can of the Red/White, Red Black banded birds metal ring. Probably not even needed but thought I'd include anyway. Any idea who might be interested in these 2 birds?
RWB Wrybill 1.jpg
RWB Wrybill 1.jpg (694.08 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
OB Wrybill 2.jpg
OB Wrybill 2.jpg (607.33 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
OB Wrybel 1.jpg
OB Wrybel 1.jpg (389.85 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Re: Banded Wrybill

Postby Adam C » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:18 pm

All good. Found the Doc email...nothing to see here.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Hypno

Re: Banded Wrybill

Postby Hypno » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:07 pm

i feel like the Black and orange bands look on the large size on a small bird like a wrybill, the red white ones look like a better fit and less cumbersome.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”