Nikon P900

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Henry9

Nikon P900

Postby Henry9 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:36 am

Hey Guys.
Just wondering if anyone on here is using a p900 and can give me a tip of two. I have not long had the camera bought second hand but I am really struggling to get a decent clear photo of anything when using the zoom, have tried most setting but it’s all pretty new to me, any help much appreciated. Cheers
zarkov

Re: Nikon P900

Postby zarkov » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:04 pm

I'd be interested in a reply to this.
rowey

Postby rowey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 pm

Mate I am exactly the same. Have not yet taken a photo i am proud of. Again tried all settings and obviously the birdwatching setting but still had nothing sharp. I don't think it shoots raw either??? I have seen Adam C using the P1000 and am most impressed by all he posts. Although he does post pro for a living :) Have put it deep in the cupboard. Thought it might have been good for long distance wader ID but always poor results. Onviously does need good lighting. Might just be me. Would be curious to see a proper photographer using it and see their results.
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 pm

Bought mine based on the results I've seen posted here.
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:29 am

I would advice to have a look on youtube. When I got my camera (a different model) I found quite a few clips on youtube with professionals explaining all the settings in different situations. Well worth a try!
Weka1

Postby Weka1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 am

Hello Henry9
I bought a Nikon P900 in October last year.
Taken thousands of shots.
I've found it bloody great!

Alexander T White's book 'Photographers Guide to the Nikon Coolpix P900' is worth looking at, but expensive at around $75 (check internet for confirmation of price).

I claim absolutely no expertise in photography, but possibly the Vibration Reduction is turned off?
To check this;
Push the Menu button on the back of the camera.
Go to the Spanner icon at the bottom left of the screen.
Select Vibration reduction.
Three options will be given with Vibration reduction. Normal, Active or Off.
Select Normal.

If your camera is set to Vibration reduction 'Off', that may be the problem.

I also take photos using the view finder, as I think the camera against your head is a separate steadying point. That's just my thought.

I'm continually amazed at how I can take bird shots at 83* zoom that look OK.
Not brilliantly professional as with a multi thousand dollar unit, but still I think astonishingly good.
Raewyn

Postby Raewyn » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:01 am

[I was typing this while Weka1 was also replying and adding a few more good points. Especially the suggestion to use the view finder. Here's what I was posting at the same time.]

I don't know this model personally but do understand your frustration at getting disappointing results. Here are a few thoughts that I hope might help.

Are you able to identify what kind of problem it could be...
-If part of the image is sharp but it's the wrong part do you need to set it to a single focus point (ie the bird)? or if it lets you choose specific focus points have you got the wrong one selected? Or is it focusing too slowly so that you miss the best shot because of that?
-If the whole image is fuzzy, is it camera shake? Have you got the VR (vibration reduction) switched on? The zoom range on the camera is pretty phenomenal which makes it much harder to keep the camera steady without a tripod. If you don't have a tripod handy, could you use a table or fence post as a method of stabilisation to see if a few test photos are better.
-If the image is noisy (grainy) have you got a very high ISO set? That's invaluable in low light but has a trade-off in image quality.
-If the whole image is nearly right but just "not quite" and if this is especially apparent at the long end of the zoom, is it just the limitation of the camera itself? There will always be compromise on very big zooms and smallish sensors (even from Nikon).
-Is the camera faulty? It's unlikely but certainly possible that there was a fault the seller didn't know about. I've bought a lot of second hand gear over the years and have had problems with faults twice that I can think of.

Another thought might be to look at reviews and get a feel for what the camera should be capable of that way and see if yours is comparable. Go for reviews in photography magazines or those by professional wildlife photographers.

Good luck.
Trina

Postby Trina » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:09 am

I have this model of bridge camera. Because it has such a long zoom and a small sensor you don't get very sharp images especially as it moves into the digital zoom at extreme distances. It does however provide great benefit to me in that I take it along with me more often into the field and prefer this rather than dragging along a whole kit of lenses as with my DSLR. It works well for ID records but not so good if you are looking for bling on waders.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”