Godwit roost sites on the Coromandel Peninsula

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Ian Southey

Godwit roost sites on the Coromandel Peninsula

Postby Ian Southey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:12 pm

With the great big godwit count coming up next week I'm heading up to a few sites on the Coromandel. I haven't been birding in Whitianga for years and years so could someone please tell me where to find the godwit roost there?

I know I can count the Coromandel Harbour godwits sub-roosting but again, if anyone knows where the high tide roost is, please tell me.

Thanks, Ian
Davidthomas

Re: Godwit roost sites on the Coromandel Peninsula

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Hah! I was wondering if anyone was heading up that way. Have been meaning to message Rob about what roosts weren’t being covered.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:12 pm

No clues, anyone?

Ian
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:40 pm

Unfortunately I’ve never really birded that area at all Ian so I can’t offer much help beyond perhaps the whitianga birds roost out on the island in the middle? Looks to be a bit of a shellbank there.

Was chatting with Russ about this and we suspect the Whangamata Godwits roost on the marina breakwater or perhaps occasionally at the beach road playground. He also suggested that birding the Pauanui side is easier also.

He just sent me this: “ Royal Billy Point and Pleasant Point are big tide roosts for Pauanui birds but on average/low tides there is usually still mud/sand bars exposed that they chill on in the middle. At least it's not a huge estuary so you can usually ID everything even at low tide. Pauanui side allows for more access”

Hope it helps.
rukuhia

Postby rukuhia » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:17 pm

Last month there was a heap on Matarangi spit.
Bob Rigter
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Matarangi Spit is definitely the biggest roost on the Coromandel but there are flocks in most of the main estuaries (see ebird). The roosts are generally what you would expect based on geography but most estuaries are small enough (exception is Whanapaua) to bird at low tide and ID most objects.

Is there a website or person where we can check what will be covered? Helping with kawhia, but might also be able to get to Athenree or something this weekend if no one else is there.

Russ
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:52 pm

What's the "the great big godwit count"?
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:11 am

Rob Schuckard is coordinating a national godwit count on this big spring tide series in early February. There are concerns about the population as counts have declined for the past four years in a row and we're trying to get a better estimate of the NZ and east Australian numbers. Birds NZ regional reps were all contacted about it.
Cheers, Phil
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Thanks Phil. Might have got something from local RR but didn't notice it.
Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:51 pm

It's not a site where a lot of Godwit are expected in Feb but the Lake Ellesmere All-bird Count of water birds on the lake happened today. My group only had 4 Bartails but there are more expected, so we will get the total to Rob as soon as it's added up.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”