Godwit roost sites on the Coromandel Peninsula

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
andrewcrossland

Re: Godwit roost sites on the Coromandel Peninsula

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:09 am

Hi Jan, my son Xavier and I had 167 Bar-tails and 1 Black-tailed Godwit at Aggie Prices (birdlings B) section of Lake Ellesmere today. Not much else of great interest though - lots of swans, geese, grey teal, stilts, and an aggregate total of 290 Royal Spoonbills in the sectors we did (Ataahua Pt to Hidden Bay).
Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:08 am

Hi Andrew, there were far more birds over the eastern side this year with the wind from the northeast having picked up and birds sheltering in the lea of the shore on Greenpark sands. loads of swan, grey teal and shoveler, stilt and black-billed gulls. a few spoonbill, black corms and casp terns too. There were 8 Golden plover just into the Greenpark sands patch, but I didn't hear what else in the artic group was seen. Hope Xavier enjoyed himself.
Threeps

Postby Threeps » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:34 pm

I was in Matarangi a couple of weeks ago (too late for the Great Big Godwit Count) and counted at least 475 BTG on the spit. There were also a few dozen at Tairua Estuary last week.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”