Hunua mystery call

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Ver

Hunua mystery call

Postby Ver » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:05 pm

During a walk in the Hunuas at Waharau I recorded a call on my telephone. I have only recently posted this as a mystery call on Xeno Canto site. It was suggested I post a link here as locals may be interested and possibly recognise the call.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/australasia/d ... nd_nr=1056
Dave R
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Hunua mystery call

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi David,
At the risk of making a goose of myself, I'll say it sounds like a bellbird to me.
If you heard more notes that are not audible in the recording, especially harsher and more varied ones, I might be leaning more toward tui. Regional dialects of both these species vary a lot, which might confuse if you are familiar with them elsewhere.
I'm sure this will generate some head scratching and discussion. Thanks for posting it.
Neil.
Nick Allen

Postby Nick Allen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Sounds like a Bellbird in tone and quality but the structure of the song is a bit unusual. Could be something mimicking that species though - e.g. Tui or Kokako. Might be a young Bellbird learning the song.

Nick Allen
Rodney

Postby Rodney » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:08 am

Did you see Bellbird in the Hunuas that day ? From my past experience, there are very low numbers of Bellbird there, though I'm not sure about the Waharau side. There are also small numbers of Kokako and this almost sounds like a Kokako contact call ie between a pair.
Ver

Postby Ver » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 am

Hi Rodney
I actually dont recall seing Bellbirds that day but I would guess that there are many up at the top of the upper link track as I do hear what I believe to be their call in that area as I pass by. A nice structured melodic call repeated by several birds unlike what I believe to be Tui with its pops and squeeks and beautiful notes. My friend who has also heard the mystery call lives next to the entrance of the park and has bellbirds in his trees. He hears them regularly. On occasion I believe I have heard them at my place on the edge of the Hunuas between Kawakawa bay and Orere point. As for the Kokako, yes I would love to have seen one there. The clearing I heard the bird in originaly is not far from Adams lookout where walkers tell me they have heard Kokako. This would be about three-- four ks distant.The mystery bird seemed to be making its way away from that point over a period of time. Thanks for the replies.
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:00 pm

I think it is a bellbird - sounds very similar to the bellbirds on Tiritiri Matangi. There are some warbling notes just after you speak towards the end that had me tending towards something else like tui or kokako, but think it's probably just the bellbird doing some quiet calls before hitting the main part of the call you captured. As Nick says the quality/tone of the call points to bellbird. They can be a little sneaky at certain times of the year, but I think if you spent a bit of time at the clearing you'd spot them.
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
kokakoman

Postby kokakoman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:47 pm

I think that the Bellbird ID is the best option so far. I have spend some time recording Kokako in the Hunuas along the Kohukohunui Track (where the Kokako density is highest) and didn't hear anything remotely like the sound on xeno-canto. As already pointed out though, mimicry is always an option...

Return to “General Birding Discussion”