When do long-tailed cuckoos stop calling?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Colin Miskelly

When do long-tailed cuckoos stop calling?

Postby Colin Miskelly » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:43 am

Long-tailed cuckoos were heard every day on Secretary Island (Doubtful Sound, Fiordland) 18-21 February, but none was heard on Coal Island (Preservation Inlet) further south during 23-25 February. Both islands have populations of two host species (brown creeper and mohua).

Ngā mihi
Colin
Ian Southey

Re: When do long-tailed cuckoos stop calling?

Postby Ian Southey » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 am

Colin

I suspect you were there on the cusp of migration. Many years ago I was wandering around not too far away in the Stillwater Valley through the middle of February. I remember the Long-tailed Cuckoos very vocal early in the trip, gathering in little groups and being quite active with some chasing and then toward the end I realised I hadn't heard any for a few days and I heard no more around Fiordland after that date. Maybe you witnessed a similar thing.

I wonder if you remember the weather? Last week in Auckland we had a SW change and a welcome drop in temperature. It occurs to me that the wind might have might have brought a change form headwinds to tailwinds and allowed all of the cuckoos to depart.

Ian
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:27 am

Marylin Rea-Menzies reported hearing multiple Long-tailed Cuckoos two days ago in Westport on the New Zealand Birders Facebook page:

“Last night in Westport, I heard a bird calling. It was quite late at night about 9-10 pm quite dark and fine weather, when I heard a long high-pitched bird call in a tree outside my place [in line with online recordings of Long-tailed Cuckoo] It went on for a while and when I went outside there were four or five others calling over in the Domain about 5 minutes walk away from my place. This went on for about an hour off and on!“
Pat Miller

Postby Pat Miller » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:19 pm

We don't have Long-tailed Cuckoos in Northland except when they're passing through on their way south or north again, but I heard one at Spirits Bay around 10pm on 29th February, so I'm wondering Colin, do they ever stop calling in NZ? That is, when they go quiet are they still here?
Pat
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:45 pm

A long-tailed cuckoo was calling on Kapiti Island early this morning, but none others heard during the rest of the day

Colin
lloydesler

Postby lloydesler » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:08 pm

On 5 January 2021 I heard six Long-tailed cuckoos calling at Milford Sound and on 14 January there were eight calling at the Homer Hut close to the Homer Tunnel. I believe they get together and form a migrating flock from various point on the West Coast.
Jim Kirker

Postby Jim Kirker » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:29 pm

Two calling in forest between lake Rotoiti and Okataina early afternoon last Sunday 24 Jan.
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 pm

They call during their migration north. We have heard and seen these in South-east Auckland in March.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:23 pm

They also call on the wintering grounds. I don't know how it compares to the breeding grounds but certainly they are heard throughout the winter in Rarotonga and other places. I image they are less vocal overall though.
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:41 pm

I heard several calling at different locations in the Akatarawa forest (Karapoti side) on Monday.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”