Moeraki Pelagic to Otago Canyons / Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th October 2021

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
Oscar Thomas

Moeraki Pelagic to Otago Canyons / Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th October 2021

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:13 pm

Kia ora,

After the success of our July double-header, two more full-day pelagic trips with Ezifish Charters are planned out of Moeraki, Otago to the offshore canyons for the Saturday 16th October, and Sunday 17th October 2021.
Naturally no guarantees on what we will see, but last time we had a stunning 7 species of albatross, dozens of Giant petrels, hundreds of Cape petrels plus appearances from Antarctic Fulmar, Grey Petrel and Grey-backed Storm-Petrel, and a seahorse in the mouth of an Otago Shag! Now moving into the spring migration period, species such as Broad-billed Prion, South Polar Skua and even more Storm-Petrels should be on the cards. Marine mammals including Hector’s Dolphin, Long-finned Pilot Whales and Shepherd's Beaked Whales have also all been observed in the area.

We will aim to depart Moeraki at approximately 8am and return at 4pm each day, on the 16.5m long, 5m wide fiberglass vessel "The Sirocco". You’ll need to bring your own food, drink and other supplies for the trip, and a BBQ sausage sizzle lunch will also be provided. There are still spaces available on both the Saturday and Sunday trips, so if you are interested in reserving a spot please email your chosen day to oscarkokako@gmail.com
To confirm you will need to make a deposit of $125 (which is only refundable to people who pull out if I can fill your spot before the trip takes place). The final trip cost will be sorted closer to the time and depend on the number of people on the day, but if we get a response as good as last time it’ll stay the same as the initial deposit. If the trip is cancelled due to weather then the payment will be fully refunded, so if you are coming from afar be sure to have backup plans. The call will be made by the skipper about 48hrs ahead of the trips.
Moeraki Holiday Park is a suitable accommodation option for individuals or small groups, one hour’s drive north from Dunedin City. Please get in touch with Oscar Thomas at the email address above if you have any questions.

Ngā mihi nui
Sirocco.OscarThomas.jpg
Sirocco.OscarThomas.jpg (398.7 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
Buller'sAlbatross.SouthernSubspeciesOscarThomas.jpg
Buller'sAlbatross.SouthernSubspeciesOscarThomas.jpg (182.54 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
CapePetrel.SnaresSubspeciesFlock.OscarThomas.jpg
CapePetrel.SnaresSubspeciesFlock.OscarThomas.jpg (557.59 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
Godwits

Re: Moeraki Pelagic to Otago Canyons / Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th October 2021

Postby Godwits » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks Oscar I will book for Saturday and please reserve me for the Sunday. I will make the deposit asp.
Mavis
Oscar Thomas

Re: Moeraki Pelagic to Otago Canyons / Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th October 2021

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:41 am

Hi all,

With the recent announcements by the government our Auckland attendees unfortunately won't be able to make this trip - there are now 4 available spaces on the Saturday 16th trip, and 2 available spaces on the Sunday 17th trip. Please email me at oscarkokako@gmail.com ASAP if you are interested. Ngā mihi nui

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”