JUNE Moeraki Pelagics to Otago Canyons - 7/6, 25/6, 26/6

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:57 pm

Kia ora,

I am gauging interest for a full-day pelagic trip with Ezifish Charters out of Moeraki, Otago to the offshore canyons for Tuesday 7th June, just after the Birds New Zealand conference in Christchurch. There should be great opportunities for photos and viewing of a range of albatrosses, shearwaters, petrels, penguins and shags. Last winter on the inaugural Moeraki Pelagics we had great views of Antarctic Fulmar, Grey Petrel and Grey-backed Storm-Petrels. Marine mammals including Hector’s Dolphin, Long-finned Pilot Whales and Shepherd's Beaked Whales have also all been observed in the area.

We would aim to depart Moeraki at 8am and return by 4pm on the 16.5m long, 5m wide fiberglass vessel "The Sirocco". You’ll need to bring your own food, drink and other supplies for the trip, and a BBQ sausage sizzle lunch will be provided. To confirm you will need to make a deposit of $150 (which is only refundable to people who pull out if I can fill your spot before the trip takes place). The final trip cost will be sorted closer to the time and depend on the number of people confirmed on the day. If the trip is cancelled due to weather then the payment will be fully refunded. The call will be made by the skipper about 48hrs ahead of the trip. If you are interested in reserving a spot please email oscarkokako@gmail.com. Please get in touch too if you have any questions.

Ngā mihi nui!
Last edited by Oscar Thomas on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:58 am

That filled up fast! Still a couple spots left and then I'll be adding to the waiting list. I will also mention that the following trips are planned for Saturday 25th June and Sunday 26th June. Same as above, contact me to book a spot or ask questions. Some highlights from last winter below:
SouthernRoyalAlbatross.Frenzy.OscarThomas.jpg
Southern Royal Albatrosses feeding
SouthernRoyalAlbatross.Frenzy.OscarThomas.jpg (483.31 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
GreyPetrel.OscarThomas.jpg
Grey Petrel
GreyPetrel.OscarThomas.jpg (296.28 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
AntarcticFulmar5.OscarThomas.jpg
Antarctic Fulmar
AntarcticFulmar5.OscarThomas.jpg (284.89 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Oscar Thomas

Re: JUNE Moeraki Pelagics to Otago Canyons - 7/6, 25/6, 26/6

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue May 03, 2022 7:40 pm

Hi there, still a few spots left on the Moeraki pelagics for Sat 25th June and Sun 26th June. Please contact me at oscarkokako@gmail.com if interested, or to join the waitlist for the Tue 7th June trip after the BirdsNZ conference. I'll be sharing the dates again on facebook later this week so get in quick. Cheers!
Oscar Thomas

Re: JUNE Moeraki Pelagics to Otago Canyons - 7/6, 25/6, 26/6

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue May 31, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi all, I have one spot left on the Moeraki pelagic for Tue 7th June after the BirdsNZ conference, as well as four spots on the Sun 26th June. Please contact me at oscarkokako@gmail.com if interested or for more info, or to join the waitlist for the Sat 25th June trip.

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”