April 18th--Kawhia Pelagic spaces available

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
RussCannings

April 18th--Kawhia Pelagic spaces available

Postby RussCannings » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi all,

I have organised a full day pelagic out of Kawhia (south of Raglan, North Island west coast) for April 18th (MONDAY). The rough plan would be to leave around 7am, steam out to the Mokau Trench (38 nautical miles offshore), chum for several hours, then return before dark (5pm-ish). This is onboard Dove Charters' "The Clansman" (http://www.westcoastfishing.co.nz/boats.html) Cost is $250/person.

There are currently 2 spaces available (with 6 already confirmed). I will take the first 2 to email/PM/post here, then anyone else wishing to go on a waiting list can do so in case anyone cancels. In the next week or so I will request some deposits to ensure that we're all locked into going. The trip will be swell-dependent of course. There is accommodation/camping in Kawhia, with more options in Te Awamutu. Contact me for more details on that and about carpooling if you like.

Birdwise, there have been few if any pelagics off the west coast north of Whanganui so who really knows what we'll encounter. At this time of year, many subantarctic birds are dispersing north so there is a chance for species like Soft-plumaged and White-headed Petrel, Black-bellied Storm-Petrel, and Light-mantled Albatross. Only one way to find out really!

As I mentioned above, get in touch ASAP if you are interested in this trip. It's very possible I can get more of these trips organised in the future so let me know if you're interested for other trips in the future even if you can't make this one.

Cheers,

Russell Cannings
Cambridge, NZ

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”