Kawhia or Tauranga Pelagic in August

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
RussCannings

Kawhia or Tauranga Pelagic in August

Postby RussCannings » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi all,

Would like to try for a Kawhia or Tauranga pelagic in August on a weekend to see what else might be around in light of the great records off Tutukaka recently. Unfortunately last Sunday's trip was cancelled due to swell but I think if we target a few different possibly weekends we can make one work.

Out of Kawhia we would be using this charter company: https://www.venturerfishingcharterskawhia.co.nz/
The plan would be to get around 12 nautical miles beyond Gannet Island and spend most of the day chumming away.

Out of Tauranga there are several similar charter options depending on availability but we would aim to get out deeper (700-1000m depth mark) which is beyond Mayor Island.

Both options would be around $140-$150 if we can get 10+ people signed up.

So please let me know ASAP if you're interested and include the following details:
1) What option you would prefer
2) Whether you would still go out if the other option was more popular
3) What weekend dates in August you are free AND not free

What could we see? Well there have been too few winter trips in these areas to really know, and that's part of the intrigue. Based on beachwrecks this is definitely the time to try for rarer prion species, Blue Petrel, and other subantarctic species such as the Light-mantled Albatross seen off Tutukaka last Saturday---so I'm sure there are more than a few lifers lurking out there for ya!

Send your info either to my email: russellcannings79 AT gmail.com or by texting me: 021994156

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
RussCannings

Re: Kawhia or Tauranga Pelagic in August

Postby RussCannings » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Date now set for Sunday Aug 5 out of kawhia (full day). Filling up too so let me know asap if you want to be on the list :)
RussCannings

Re: Kawhia or Tauranga Pelagic in August

Postby RussCannings » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Have 9 or 10 people now and weather looking okay for now. Fingers crossed!

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”