eBird Global Big Day - 6th October 2018

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
Nikki McArthur

eBird Global Big Day - 6th October 2018

Postby Nikki McArthur » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi all,

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology is organising another eBird Global Big Day for the 6th of October. This date has been deliberately chosen to suit Southern Hemisphere birders (Yay!), as in previous years these GBD events have tended to be held in May:

Every year for the last four years Global Big Day has set new heights for a single day of birding. This massively international collaborative birding event has been so great we want to have another worldwide eBird Big Day in October. Why October? Because spring is rejuvenating the southern hemisphere and the northern reaches of the world are in the midst of migration. No matter where you are, we’re confident you can find some great birds on 6 October. Let’s see what we can find together on the first October Big Day!

These events are a great excuse to get out birding, either on your own or as part of a team. You can also choose to take either a competitive or cooperative approach, depending on whether you want go for an individual 'Big Day' record, or whether you want to target local or regional endemics, to ensure they get onto the worldwide 'Big Day' list.

For more information on how to get involved, visit: https://ebird.org/news/october-big-day-6-october-2018

If you are planning to get out and about on the 6th, please do consider posting a report of your efforts here, it'll be interesting to hear what everyone gets up to!

I haven't decided what I'll be doing yet...probably a Marlborough Big Day effort (glossy ibis, hoary-headed grebe, king shag...)

Best wishes,
Nikki
RussCannings

Re: eBird Global Big Day - 6th October 2018

Postby RussCannings » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 pm

As long as I'm in mobile reception and 2ish hours from Morrinsville (and my wonderfully pregnant wife) I've been given the green light! Might go for the Waikato record of 75 or simply visit a bunch of spots that are under ebird. Should be fun!
Russ

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”