How to ignore and report objectionable posts

BirdingNZ.net problems, tips, feature suggestions etc.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

How to ignore and report objectionable posts

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 pm

I think I'm pretty good at ignoring people, if I want to. Selective hearing if you like. I'm told it's a boy thing. Sometimes it can be useful in public places, like this forum, especially when there are trolls about. A troll being someone who basically likes to stir things up and annoy people on discussion boards in an effort to draw attention to themselves. General advice is "don't feed the troll", it only encourages them and ends up reducing the enjoyment of everyone else on the site. This is not always easy though, and I confess to the odd bit of troll baiting myself. Good news is, the site a has tools to help — you can choose to not see posts from particular members (trolls, ex wives etc.).

1. Go to your User Control Panel (UCP)
2. click on the Friends & Foes tab
3. click on manage foes

foes1.jpg
foes1.jpg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 8816 times

If you know the username of the person you want to ignore, type it in the box (exactly), or click on "Find a member" and you'll be able to search for them. Then hit Submit.

Or, since you'll probably be reading a post of the member when you finally decide enough is enough, just click on their username or avatar
foes2.jpg
foes2.jpg (116.58 KiB) Viewed 8816 times

then on their profile page click "Add foe" and OK on the next screen.
foes3.jpg
foes3.jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 8816 times

Note that you will still be able to see comments from your "foes" where quoted by other members.
You can also remove foes at any stage if you want to go back to seeing what they have to say.
Also, you can't actually ignore me, or moderators. Sorry, about that.

Thanks,
Neil
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: How to ignore and report objectionable posts

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Sometimes sticking your fingers in your ears just isn't going to cut it.
The forum rulesclearly say "Dialog should remain courteous and civil to maintain a friendly atmosphere in the forums."

If you find a post by another member to be objectionable, I want to know about it. You can send me a Personal Message or email, but there is an easier way; just click on the little exclamation mark at the top of each post!

report.jpg
report.jpg (160.61 KiB) Viewed 8813 times

This makes it easy for me to keep track and respond to issues. If I get several reports about a user or particular post it helps me immensely in trying to deal with it.
I can (and do) delete posts, warn or even ban users, but I need to know where the problems are. If no one complains it can be hard for me to guess how other people see things.

All help with keeping this site happy and informative is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil.

Return to “BirdingNZ.net Help”