New feature requests

BirdingNZ.net problems, tips, feature suggestions etc.
Charlotte

Re: New feature requests

Postby Charlotte » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Neil Fitzgerald wrote:
George Hobson wrote:Oh and also have links open in new tabs not the same tab you're using for birdingnz

Do you mean links within the site, or to external pages? It is considered bad web form to force users into things like that, especially when they always have the option of right clicking or ctrl+clicking a link to open it in a new tab.

it would be great if you could click a link and it opens in new window, as I'm often losing my place in the content. It's becoming more of the norm for this experience in the digital space. But, everyone has a different preference on how they like a site to react.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Hi Charlotte, presumably you also mean just external (non birdingnz) links?
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Neil Fitzgerald wrote:Hi Charlotte, presumably you also mean just external (non birdingnz) links?

Yes, sorry forgot to put that earlier.
George Hobson

Postby George Hobson » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:21 pm

Charlotte wrote:
Neil Fitzgerald wrote:
George Hobson wrote:Oh and also have links open in new tabs not the same tab you're using for birdingnz

Do you mean links within the site, or to external pages? It is considered bad web form to force users into things like that, especially when they always have the option of right clicking or ctrl+clicking a link to open it in a new tab.

it would be great if you could click a link and it opens in new window, as I'm often losing my place in the content. It's becoming more of the norm for this experience in the digital space. But, everyone has a different preference on how they like a site to react.

I agree, it does get rather annoying visiting a link, coming back here then losing your place.
And I mean non birdingnz links Neil.
Latest lifer: Little Shearwater in the Wellington Harbor (168)!
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:51 am

That is why it is a good idea to insert images etc whenever possible rather than link to them, and use ctrl+click on links to open in a new tab. Seems to be a bit of an appetite for it ad the default though so i could trial forcing it.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:17 am

I find the easiest way to access this site is to use an RSS feed, as described here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=303 - great feature Neil! Still works well after nearly six years.

I have a "BirdingNZ.net" button on the menu bar of my web browser, clicking on it brings up the most recent posts, newest at the top. Only downside is that if you don't visit the site for a couple of days (only ever happens when I'm away from home) then older posts fall off the bottom. That's about the only time I consult the main forum index.
George Hobson

Postby George Hobson » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:57 pm

May be nice to re-open the mystery bird quiz?!?
Latest lifer: Little Shearwater in the Wellington Harbor (168)!
Amber Calman

Postby Amber Calman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:14 pm

Yes that would be cool, even if there was no prize
(*)> Amber Calman, Age 15
/ ) Blog https://youngbirderdom.wordpress.com/
/"
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Yes, that could be something we could do. We have a lot more member now, so hopefully more participation, and I'm sure I have loads of bad photos I could put to it. Consider it on the list.
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:26 pm

Would it be possible to adjust how the title aligns with the author, as it's quite easy on tablet to click author instead of the posting? Not to say our authors aren't interesting! :-)

Return to “BirdingNZ.net Help”