Possible vagrant cuckoo or cuckoo-shrike, Waihi

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Colin Miskelly

Possible vagrant cuckoo or cuckoo-shrike, Waihi

Postby Colin Miskelly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:45 pm

Kia ora

The following message just received via NZ Birds Online:

"Bird species you are enquiring about (if you know it): long-tailed cuckoo
our enquiry: I'm pretty certain I saw a long-tailed cuckoo this afternoon.
Around 4pm, 14 June 2021. Rural area Waihi. I was looking out the window.
It is a wet afternoon, not particularly cold for this time of year - it's been unseasonably warm all winter so far. The bird caught my eye as it alighted on the wire fence. It had a particularly long tail and slender body. It was a greyish colour (remembering it is a wet day, so any colours would have been muted). I watched it fly away and it had a distinct t-shape with long wings, but a very long tail. I went straight to your website to identify it, and the only strong resemblance is the long-tailed cuckoo, although the site says they are not resident at this time of year.... what do you think? I've listened to the recorded call on the site too, and I'm sure I've heard it around..... :)"

I have asked the landowner to get a photo and/or more detailed description if the bird returns.

Let me know if anyone is interested in following this up, and I'll ask the landowner if they are OK with their contact details being shared.

Ngā mihi
Colin
Graeme T

Re: Possible vagrant cuckoo or cuckoo-shrike, Waihi

Postby Graeme T » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:30 pm

A cockatiel is a possibility. Grey bird with a long tail. Colours around the face can be hard to see in poor weather.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:57 am

Same may scoff at this but I think Spotted Dove is also a possibility. They are becoming increasingly abundant in the Waihi area and many people will be noticing them for he first time. When they take flight, their long tail and distinctive wing stroke is quite distinctive and can appear cuckoo like.

Russ
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:48 pm

Good suggestion Russ

The observer has replied "I’ve had a look at the birds you suggested. I doubt it is the black-faced cuckoo-shrike – it was definitely a lot more streamlined than that. It is possible that I may have seen one of the other two. Although they just don’t look quite right..... but the spotted dove the other bird watcher mentioned is probably the closest, so maybe it is that. It was on the fence for a very short time and I took particular notice of it’s flight when it left, and it looked just like the pics on the website of the long tailed cuckoo in flight..... but of course that’s not a definitive id"

Ngā mihi
Colin
jimmifinn

Postby jimmifinn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Grey and looking like a Long-tailed Cuckoo!

Could it be another Pallid Cuckoo, like the one at Otakeho earlier this year? Maybe even the same one looking for warmer climes as they do in their homeland Australia.

Cheers

Jim N

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”