Red-necked Stint at Napier

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sav

Red-necked Stint at Napier

Postby sav » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi all,

It isn't very long ago that the sight of a Red-necked Stint at the Westshore Lagoons would not have been noteworthy - but these days I think it might be.

There hasn't been one here for about 3 years, and they seem to be horribly thin on the ground (apart from Ellesmere and Awarua Bay) this year. As they were last......

Anyway, there was one present at midday today, with a single Turnstone - and still no Sharp-tailed or Pectoral Sands to be seen.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Paul Gibson

Re: Red-necked Stint at Napier

Postby Paul Gibson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:09 pm

Red-necked stint are also noteworthy over here on the west coast. Jim Norris and I found one on Thursday, November 25, at the Whangaehu River Estuary, some 15 kms south of Whanganui. This is the first I have seen this year
A47I2777s(1).jpg
A47I2777s(1).jpg (195.03 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

www.upics.co.nz
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:50 pm

Ellesmere so far has been very thin on Stint numbers. By mid-November this time last year we had the usual mob of 40 odd birds. So far my high count has been about 17 and I'm not sure anybody else has reported anymore. A lot less in the last few days. Hopefully still scattered about the lake or late arriving but they usually flock pretty quickly so I'm a little concerned.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:55 am

Remember the days in the 80s when over 200 red-necked stint, 70 curlew sandpiper and 40 sharp-tailed sandpiper occurred at lake Ellesmere ??!
Eastern curlews and whimbrel have crashed nation-wide I think
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:13 am

Don Geddes reported 26 or so RNStint at Embankment Rd recently if I recall correctly?
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 am

I cant see an Ebird list there Jan on the main Embankment road site. 'Don Goodale' has one in for 5 Stint as do a few others. But that's good news if he did :)
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:31 am

Just look at the 'recent sightings' list. It's there for 26th Nov by Don Geddes. I look there quite a bit to see who's been where and what, etc.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”