Red tailed tropicbird in Auckland

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian McLean

Red tailed tropicbird in Auckland

Postby Ian McLean » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi there
Today a Red tailed tropicbird or Amokura was handed into the New Zealand Bird Rescue Charitable Trust at Green Bay is Auckland. This bird was found by a member of the public (at a location still to be advised at present) who reported that it was being attacked by gulls. The bird is dehydrated & is having fluids, tube feeding & is on a oxygen diffuser in incubator.
I have attached a few pictures that were provided to me by Iryll Findlay. Note the pink blush to the birds plumage.
Hopefully the bird will recover to be released. With the current Covid 19 National Emergency taking place, we are fortunate that Bird Rescue & its volunteers are still working during these difficult times.
Kind Regards
Ian McLean
Red Tailed Tropicbird #3.jpg
Red Tailed Tropicbird #3.jpg (150.2 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Red Tailed Tropicbird #2.jpg
Red Tailed Tropicbird #2.jpg (118.15 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Red Tailed Tropicbird #1.jpg
Red Tailed Tropicbird #1.jpg (158.76 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Last edited by Ian McLean on Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finn Davey

Re: Red tailed tropicbird in Auckland

Postby Finn Davey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 pm

Ah yes, Corvid-19. Better watch out for Crow-ona virus. XD (Think you make a type there, Covid not Corvid)

Poor thing, I hope this beautiful and rare birds gets better.
Ian McLean

Re: Red tailed tropicbird in Auckland

Postby Ian McLean » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:20 pm

Finn Davey wrote:Ah yes, Corvid-19. Better watch out for Crow-ona virus. XD (Think you make a type there, Covid not Corvid)

Yes Finn, the Corvid 19 was a bad typo, that I have corrected ! A bit of a coincidence, as I was reading about Ravens in my North American Field Guide before I made the original post !

Just FYI: The Red tailed tropicbird was found at Bayswater on Auckland's north shore.

Cheers
Ian

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”