Weka west of Whakatane

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Weka west of Whakatane

Postby RussCannings » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi all,

While returning from the Gisborne pelagic this past weekend, David Thomas and I saw a Weka in Awakeri (just east of the village along SH2) which is SW of Whakatane and possibly the furthest west record in recent years (Eryk? Tim?), not counting the Mt Maunganui specimen or some problematic ebird reports still being followed up on.

This really isn't a surprise though as birds will have presumably have dispersed at least to the Rangitaiki River along the edge of the hills. Cool to see it actually happening though. We also saw a bunch further east along SH2 as well as on the Gisborne side of the divide.

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
phil hammond

Re: Weka west of Whakatane

Postby phil hammond » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi Russ
Paul and I also saw N I Weka on our way back from the Gisborne pelagic. Ours were about 5 km SE from Matawai on SH 2. One was on the side of the road and when we stopped we saw 2 others and heard a distant 4th. One of them trotted across the tar seal giving excellent vie
PS thanks for organizing the pelagic, they were 2 great days
Wandoona

Postby Wandoona » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:23 pm

On my many trips over the last decade between Gisborne and Tauranga I have regularly seen NI Weka from Otoko to Matawai and also the Opotiki side of the Waioweka Gorge . They have been well established at the top of the Motu for years. They suddenly disappeared from our farm outside Gisborne in 1987 and haven’t returned.
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:52 am

That's a pretty good record Russ. When I first arrived out here, the only place to see them was up the Motu as Wandoona said and that was hit and miss. Their march across the eastern Bay has been relentless. Just wondering how long it will be before I get one up at Maketu ... that would be good ...
erikforsyth

Postby erikforsyth » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi Russ, David and Tim

Weka are now fairly common residents throughout Whakatane. I have not seen them in Awakeri, so they must be on the march to the forested areas of the Rotoma lakes. There was a photo in a local paper of a dead bird found recently on a Mt Manganui Beach, Tauranga.

cheers
Erik
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
Cardinal15

Postby Cardinal15 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:02 pm

Mother with chick spotted IN Awakeri today.
Jim Kirker

Postby Jim Kirker » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:20 pm

I heard a Weka call from scrub up Sisam Valley road south of Taneatua last Tuesday. Also saw one crossing Mottram road in Nukuhou North a fortnight before. Plenty of calls at night at Waiotahi Beach.
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Sat May 08, 2021 6:35 am

We had one wander right across the trail in front of us at the beginning of the Nga Tapuwae o Toi walking trail that starts at the intersection of Ohope Road and Pohutukawa Ave, right at the bottom of the main road over the hill from Whakatane to Ohope. This was in January. It's the trail that the local kiwi trust people do the guided nocturnal kiwi walks May to June each year. You can hear weka calling in the hill above Ohope, western end. Russell, I'm in the process of moving to the BOP myself so will keep an eye out for any weka west of Awakeri.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 pm

That's is great news Ken! (Both the weka and your new digs). Will be awesome having another birder in that area!

Russ
Ken George

Postby Ken George » Sat May 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Yes, 12 years in Pohara, Golden Bay being entertained by the Pohara falcons (who just in the last week or so seemed to have moved off to wherever they go for the winter), and we ourselves are now on the move, heeding the call of the grandchildren. Not exactly sure where yet we'll fetch up in the BOP, but probably Ohope.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”