marsh crake Pekapeka

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Wandoona

marsh crake Pekapeka

Postby Wandoona » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:50 am

I have photographed ( terrible shots I might add ) marsh crake on 2 occasions and spotless crake once at this incredible wetland. It’s worth a look off the main highway south of Hastings.
Brent Stephenson

Re: marsh crake Pekapeka

Postby Brent Stephenson » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:50 pm

Nice one John. Those are great records!
Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
Wandoona

Postby Wandoona » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:48 am

Preview: Pekepeka marsh crake
They are in the wetland swamp area below the car park. I’ve seen them from the walkway over the back by the railway and also from the land track under the car park. They are cryptic as hell.
jimmifinn

Postby jimmifinn » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:11 pm

I visited the Pekapeka Wetland this afternoon. Had a good clear sighting of a Spotless Crake from the land track below the carpark. Through a gap in the Raupo reeds, it ran across a thick weedmat. Nice clear view but it was to quick for me to get a photo. Earlier I had heard another Spotless Crake call from the Raupo by the walkway at the rear, near the railway line. I couldn't see or hear a Marsh Crake during the two and a half hours I spent at the wetland, but there's always tomorrow!.
sav

Postby sav » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:14 am

jimmifinn wrote:I visited the Pekapeka Wetland this afternoon. Had a good clear sighting of a Spotless Crake from the land track below the carpark. Through a gap in the Raupo reeds, it ran across a thick weedmat. Nice clear view but it was to quick for me to get a photo. Earlier I had heard another Spotless Crake call from the Raupo by the walkway at the rear, near the railway line. I couldn't see or hear a Marsh Crake during the two and a half hours I spent at the wetland, but there's always tomorrow!.

Hey,

Try the early morning. Brent and I had at least 8 Spotless and 2 Baillon's Crakes there a week or so ago, from about 07.30 to 0830.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:16 am

Just sit down on the boardwalk and the spotless will come out and feed on the mud within 10m of you. Adults tend to be more settled than the juveniles which tend to sprint around the place.

Yellow circle location of good spotless crakes, blue where a juvenile spotless and several marsh crakes were seen.

Early morning is best, by 0930 they start to skulk a bit more.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 09.13.55.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 09.13.55.png (7.02 MiB) Viewed 1967 times

Cheers and good luck,
Brent Stephenson
jimmifinn

Postby jimmifinn » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Thanks Brent. I went down at 8.00am this morning. Checked near the sites you circled. There was a photographer at your blue circle who had seen two Spotless and Marsh Crake 15 minutes before I arrived. Didn't want to spoil his birding so I went and sat on the dirt path at the top of your heart shaped image (just below the carpark). Found a Spotless Crake at 9.30am with good photo ops. Now I just have to spot a Marsh Crake and I can go back to Wanganui happy!

Jim Norris
Pekapeka Spotless Crake IMG_0993.jpg
Spotless Crake Pekapeka Wetland 24 March 2021
Pekapeka Spotless Crake IMG_0993.jpg (217.67 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:57 pm

Great - nice shot! Glad you got onto them, the Marsh crakes tended to be more distant for me, try that blue circled area. Looking south-west along the boardwalk they were on the right hand-side. Off in a gap in the rap about 15-20m way, at least 2 of them seen.

Good luck,
Brent
Brent Stephenson
jimmifinn

Postby jimmifinn » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Many thanks, Sav and Brent. You both provided great advice that was productive. I went back to Pekapeka this evening and sat in Brent's site, recommended with the blue circle. Saw two Marsh Crakes and a Spotless Crake. One of each species was in the gap in the Raupo that Brent refers to. I got a reasonable couple of photos considering it was 6.41pm wiith light fading fast. Two birds I haven't seen before. I saw another Spotless Crake scapa from under the boardwalk in the yellow circle as I left at 7.00pm.
Thank you both for your great help.

Jim Norris
Pekapeka Marsh Crake IMG_1018.jpg
Marsh Crake Pekapeka Wetland 24 March 2021
Pekapeka Marsh Crake IMG_1018.jpg (364.4 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
wghabbott

Postby wghabbott » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:31 pm

I had short views of both species on Friday 2nd April before 9 am.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”