Weka and dabchicks Whakatane area

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Raewyn

Weka and dabchicks Whakatane area

Postby Raewyn » Fri May 07, 2021 10:44 am

I did a drive out east yesterday.

Looked at the Waihi estuary from the beach access at 600 Pukehina Parade. No cattle egrets in sight yet. I could see some active and stationary duck decoys across the estuary and a few mallards on the water at the other end of the estuary. The spoonbills were over at the Little Waihi side.

At Sullivan Lake there were three dabchicks on the lake along with all the usual coots, ducks and muscovies.

At Ohope there were two weka at the Oyster farm takeaway van just over the hill. One feeding "human" food to a juvenile that was semi-hidden in the mangroves to the left. The adult was getting the food from somewhere out the back of the takeaways but I couldn't see quite where. It wasn't begging from people, but was happily walking past in the open with its bounty.

IMG_7099er2.jpg
IMG_7099er2.jpg (290.29 KiB) Viewed 744 times

IMG_7124cer2.jpg
IMG_7124cer2.jpg (286.76 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”