MEGA - ANTARCTIC PETREL, Birdlings Flat

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian Southey

Re: MEGA - ANTARCTIC PETREL, Birdlings Flat

Postby Ian Southey » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:23 am

I hope someone does a proper beach patrol in the next few days. I'd be keen to know if there are any Fulmar Prions amongst others as the wind seems to have swept right through their area.

Also, please pick up those interesting corpses and offer them to the museum. I'm glad someone did eventually pick up that storm petrel, I can't identify it certainly from that picture - its interesting. These specimens would make a good record of an interesting event and there will be some valuable specimens that otherwise would not be available.

Ian
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:25 am

There have been some amazing posts on this site but this one is completely breathtaking. An absolutely stunning record.
Well done Fraser et al. Great work and a well deserved reward for getting out there...
Paul Scofield

Postby Paul Scofield » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:36 am

Yes, keen to get this Stormie and any of the Antarctic birds that didn't sadly make it. We have several white-bellied black bellies from the NZ subs and just looking at this photo I can see several features that are more typical of a BBSP. Measurements will confirm and I will post a full report when Steve drops it off.

Paul Scofield Canterbury Museum
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:48 am

I know there has been partial beach patrols done which have turned up sooty shearwater, white-headed petrel, antarctic fulmar and the pictured storm-petrel which I think might be a grey-backed - the rump was indistinct grey rather than white. Interestingly very few prions seen, maybe one or two, over the two days watching the site. But yes was a stunning couple of days.
Paul Scofield

Postby Paul Scofield » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:18 pm

No maybe about it has to be a grey back :) Just saw some photos from Steve - 100% grey backed..
Last edited by Paul Scofield on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Just seen some pics showing the storm petrel dried out and its very clearly a Grey-backed. Possibly the one reported flying back toward the beach from Lake Forsyth yesterday as the carcass was only found a short distance away.

I've already made a start writing up a Notornis paper on the event, starting with the Antarctic/Slender-billed prion and Soft-plumaged petrel on the CHCH coastline a few days ago, and then everything coming in with the storm.

So far, there is one new species for the Greater Christchurch - Antarctic Petrel. The Black-bellied Storm Petrels seen alive were not infact a new species for the area as Kieren Rowe had found one dead on a beach patrol a while ago and given to Canty Museum.
So the Greater CHCH list stands at 244 species (since first European settlement so there are some bone fide recorded extinct natives on the list).

For Kaitorete Spit/Lake Ellesmere, new additions are Antarctic Petrel, Grey-backed Storm Petrel, Black-bellied Storm Petrel, Soft-plumaged Petrel and white-headed Petrel. That's brings the site list up to 207 species (embarrassingly I discovered that Antarctic Fulmar was done twice on the previous checklist drawn up in April 2020, so the total from then dropped by one!).

Birds are also turning up inland including this one reported to DoC from a farm at Westerfield, well inland on the Canterbury plains near Ashburton:

albatross.jpg
albatross.jpg (97.23 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Paul Scofield

Postby Paul Scofield » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:06 pm

That Grey-head must-be just out of the nest! Be a few folks wanting to see that released!

P
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:15 pm

Sorry to jump in here but it's just clicked. Yesterday as soon as I got down to the beach (before my bins salted up and became pretty useless) I got a really clear view of an all dark Albie (from above) with a white bum. Underneath all dark wing and pale belly. Click! It sailed past out the back, reasonably distant but again it was when my binos were clear so had a good view. I just couldn't place it but there's nothing else it could really of been?
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Anita Spencer from chch (Mahaanui) DoC just txt me to advise that a Sooty Albatross has been picked up from a paddock at Cooptown. I assume it’s probably a light mantled sooty but will know when Anita checks it. Cooptown is up the valley from lake Forsyth at the start of the hill over to Akaroa. So it flew a long way up the lake - must have been an amazing sight!! Interestingly , a grey ternlet was found in that area after the Wahine
storm and seabirds, incl albatrosses turn up in the area reasonably frequently.
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:08 pm

Any chance of attending either of these albatross releases Andrew? Can you pass on any contact details? Cheers!

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”