MEGA - ANTARCTIC PETREL, Birdlings Flat

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
andrewcrossland

Re: MEGA - ANTARCTIC PETREL, Birdlings Flat

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:32 am

Great! many thanks, that clears that one up! Common Diving petrels are pretty uncommon in these parts so important to confirm.
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:50 am

I don't think that is a diving petrel. The underwing is much too white and the wing shape doesn't look right. Search diving petrel images to see the difference. A prion or blue petrel might be more likely.

Cheers, Phil
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:55 am

Prion for me too.
Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:03 pm

And it has certainly departed this life, so if you needed a tick for that species, [whatever it is] you might be disappointed.....
wazzagonewild

Postby wazzagonewild » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:42 pm

I guess I hadn't critically considered those other options, and agree that prion seems to be a much better fit (sorry Andrew!). I don't have any better photos to clinch the exact ID.
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:24 pm

That's my mistake, although I give myself some leeway as there was a slight breeze and a bit of drizzle at the time...
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:29 pm

Yep, cool, thanks Team. (I knew you’d get there!! I’ve been looking at those wings all day and thinking of a nice way to ask if you’d really had a good look at the bird). Anyway, even without a Diving Petrel, it was an incredible couple of days.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:10 pm

Hi Andrew just getting back to you re the Grey-Headed. My record was accepted and I got a really good look at it. Probably one of the few that I did before my bins got salted up. I'm 100% on it as a Juv Grey-headed. Nothing else fits. Dorsal view was all dark grey with an all black bill and a white bum (first view that really stood out as something I hadn't seen before) but the white belly and solid black underwing really had me scratching but I made a really strong mental snapshot of it and filed it while the Sooty was flying about, not to mention the White-headed petrels and trying to pin the Antarctic Petrel. It made one pass about 5 waves back and that was it but it all clicked later.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:36 pm

I'm writing a summary of the species/numbers seen at Birdlings Flat on 31st May 2021 during the big winter storm event to go in the Bird News section of the next Birds New Zealand magazine. I've got the following species/numbers from this forum and a few other posts made to Facebook at the time. I'd appreciate comments on the following from any of those who observed the birds there that day:

1 Grey-headed Albatross, 1 Light-mantled Sooty Albatross, 1 white morph Sth Giant Petrel, 2 Antarctic Fulmars, 1 Antarctic Petrel, 2 White-headed Petrels, c30 Soft-plumaged Petrels, 1 Grey-backed Storm Petrel, 2 Black-bellied Storm Petrels, 1 Pomarine Skua, and 1 Brown Skua.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:12 pm

Looking at my eBird records that seems pretty accurate Michael. Difficult to assess numbers in those conditions but that's probably a good, conservative estimate.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”