Miranda 21/22 Summer Season

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Miranda 21/22 Summer Season

Postby RussCannings » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 pm

Starting a new thread for Miranda this season (Hopefully more people can visit soon!)

Made a more thorough visit today pre and post high tide. With the Stilt Pools still deep, the birds are sticking to the shellbank for the most part which isn't ideal for viewing however enough were popping out onto the flats in front of the hide to have something to look at either side of high.

NO sign of the tattler seen a few days ago however it was nice to see a CURLEW SANDPIPER (drab plumage) as well as a BLACK-TAILED GODWIT among the Barwits. Other uncommon species were 4 turnstone, 6 golden plover, and apparently 2 bittern have been showing well in the area of late (the latter fide Chelsea at the centre).

Russ
Adam C

Re: Miranda 21/22 Summer Season

Postby Adam C » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:45 pm

Good news on the CSP. How many did the N.I. get last summer? I think I only remember a single record + the 2 down in Southland?
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Paid a quick visit to the main godwit hide at Miranda in Saturday afternoon. Was a low high tide and birds were mostly sleeping in here haze. Fortunately many were snoozing on the mud (as opposed to further out on the shellbank). Despite this mercy, I didn't pick out any of the uncommon Arctic waders (other than a dozen or so PGPs hiding in the Limeworks weeds). No sign if any smaller Sandpipers or curlew/whimbrel.

Hopefully more time spent during a higher tide will prove more fruitful. Perhaps not surprising to note continued decline of these Siberian waders. :(

The Stilt Pool levels are still fairly high so some more mud there might help bring out the Sharpies etc.

Russ
rukuhia

Postby rukuhia » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:11 am

I was at Miranda today and apart from the banded rail at the gate never saw anything unusual.
Further up the coast however there were over 500 white fronted terns and a single red necked stint along with 20 or so wrybils at Rays rest.
At Kaiaua boat harbour a group of 40 spotted shags were swimming along the shore as a group.
Unfortunately there were also two pied shags caught in a set net on the shore. One looked ok not sure about the other.
Bob Rigter
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:47 am

Checked out Miranda pre HT yesterday (Friday). Highlight was a lone PECTORAL SANDPIPER seen initially near the shellbank but then relocated on the swiftly drying stilt pools after HT. A FE CURLEW was also present on the shellbank, a Blackwit was found amongst the godwits, and 33 PG Plovers was a season high I believe (along with 1800+ wrybill now). A LITTLE TERN (maybe 2?) was also actively fishing in the area.

Russ
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:07 pm

Birded Miranda for a few hours around HT and post today (Sunday). No sign of the big O but great views of everything else (godwits and knot are colouring up). Highlights included:
FE Curlew
Curlew Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
32 golden plover
35 bandies
2 Little Tern

Russ
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:01 pm

A brilliant day at Miranda today, as well as the oriental plover and potential ruff there were two little terns, two sharp-tailed sandpipers, a pectoral sandpiper and a curlew sandpiper - all on the stilt ponds. Quite a high tide meant all the birds were roosting on the stilt ponds, which we were viewing from the road. A far eastern curlew was also out in front of the godwit hide.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:50 pm

I am at work, but to my knowledge, no sightings of either the Ruff or Oriental Plover today (despite people looking)>

Russ
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:11 pm

Shoshanah and I spent a good chunk of the day searching for the two rarities today (23/2). Unfortunately, we had no luck despite a nice high tide and a few birding celebrities keeping their eyes peeled as well. Jesse G is sticking it out, however, so hopefully his persistence will pay off.
Highlights were a Pec Sand and FE Curlew. Others had the two little terns.
Cheers!
Liam Ballard

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”