Mangere

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
iain johnson

Mangere

Postby iain johnson » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:35 pm

high tide at Mangere, approx 600 wrybill, 300 bar-wits, 6 NZ Dotterel, 10+ Banded Dotterel and a probable sharp tailed sandpiper, with only one leg all from the Ambury hide.

The shell banks further round contained all the SIPOs and spoonbill (didn't count these) as Phil Hammond and myself were checking the godwits. Phil had received a report of two Hudsonian's present on Friday but Phil reported that there has previously been an Asiatic Black Tailed Godwit present earlier in the winter. We found one Hudwit plus one other bird which was either a black-wit or a Hudwit, didn't get a clear view of the underwings unfortunately.

However, the Hudwit had a thin white line at the very tip of its tail whereas the second bird lacked this feature. Anyone know if this is a diagnostic for Hud-wit? Would also be interested to hear if the asiatic race of black-wit, which presumably are more common in NZ than the western race, contains or lacks this feature, and again whether this is diagnostic or not??

So there are at least two different Hud-wits in NZ, both within an hour of each other and a potential third bird!!

Also, one bar-wit with a green flag on its (right?) leg which contained the letters FY. Any clues as to the origin??
Christopher

Re: Mangere

Postby Christopher » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:24 am

Hudwit + hudwit/black-tailed still there yesterday. Unfortunately while I was there they didn't fly, so I wasn't able to see the underwings.

Chris

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”