Waders at Tapora

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Nathan El

Waders at Tapora

Postby Nathan El » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:02 pm

(TLDR 15ish turnstones, 7 whimbrels, 2 sharp-tailed sandpipers, 1 pacific golden plover)

Hi,

I made an excursion to Tapora west of Wellsford on the Kaipara harbour for the first time today, and making my first post here :)

I used the instructions provided here viewtopic.php?t=111

I first went to Journey's End, a bit past mid tide, but didn't read the instructions properly and thought one could go across to the island at lower tides, decided to try crossing anyway but gave up once the water reached my neck haha. Only the "big 3" SI oystercatcher, knot and godwit here.

Then went to Manukapa, around high tide, which was still low enough for most of the mud between the island and the mainland to be exposed.

First walked across to the west side of the island, where there was little to see bird-wise, but nice view.

Then walked north to the tip (apparently this is not allowed, though that is not mentioned in the "guide" which says nothern tip is best; maybe this is new). At the tip some dotterels and variable oystercatchers, presumably nesting - and indeed oddly saw a single unattended egg on sand that seemed to get submerged at higher tides. On the eastern inland side at the northern end, lots of the big 3, swans and a few caspian and white-fronted terns. Then walking south on mud between island and mainland, group of 7 whimbrels; sadly they flew off before I could see them through the scope so I can't say which kind of whimbrel.

Then seeing many birds on south-facing shore of the tidal mud between the island and mainland, walked there and had even more of the big 3 and swans, again a few caspian terns, plus around 15 turnstones, and 2 rather confiding juvenile sharp-tailed sandpipers (pic). Finally, at the little tidal pool just in front of where the access track arrives on the tidal mud, there was a single pacific golden plover, in partial breeding plumage.

Nothing extremely uncommon, but having been mostly in Europe the sharp-tailed sandpiper and pacific golden plover were lifers for me, yay. Interestingly even the more uncommon species I saw appear to have been reported quite frequently here, so it seems this is a regular site for them.
stsandpipercropped.jpg
2 juvenile Sharp-tailed Sandpipers
stsandpipercropped.jpg (360.74 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Last edited by Nathan El on Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RussCannings

Re: Waders at Tapora

Postby RussCannings » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:53 am

Thanks for the report Nathan,

Can you elaborate on the "not allowed" comment? Was there a sign? Any indication of the reason? That would be news to me.

Glad you found some new birds. It's the kind or place that can change day today on higher or lower tides as other birds may have been roosting elsewhere in the harbour.

I take it the main group was just south of the causeway between the island and the mainland?

Russ
Nathan El

Postby Nathan El » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:57 am

Hi Russ, thanks for the interest.

There were 2 signs indicating that everything north of the access track, both on mainland and island, was forbidden to the public, mostly in the interest of protecting birds. The first sign was on the mainland where a track branches off to the right and is barred by a gate, and the second was where the track arrives onto the island. Maybe this is a new development? Maybe I misinterpreted the signs and they only apply to vehicles?

It being a half moon, the water was low for a high tide, so the whole channel between mainland and island was above water. Most birds were at water's edge, i.e. 500-1000m north and south of the track. There were lots of birds both on north and south side, but more on south. On south side more spread out, with largest numbers on a sandbar quite far out. Would be interested to see what it's like at a full moon / new moon high tide.
Nathan El

Postby Nathan El » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:18 pm

Oh and also a pair of pipits where the track arrives at the island.
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:54 pm

The signs at Big Sand have been there for several months. You can see at a glance that they are "homemade". I have no idea who put them there, what authority they imagine they have, or what agenda they have, someone else might be able to report o to that
Nathan El

Postby Nathan El » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi Phil, thanks for pointing that out. I was actually a bit reluctant to mention here that I had flouted the signs and gone to the prohibited area, was afraid I might catch some flak, but glad to see that's not the case (so far :)). I had presumed it was the DOC or something official at least that had placed them, but I guess you're right it seems it's likely just "civilians". There are a few dotterels apparently nesting at the north point, and apparently at high high tides most waders congregate there as well, but that hardly seems to warrant closing off half the site, considering much of the off-limits area is more than a kilometer away and not within eyesight of the point anyway. Anyway your attitude towards these signs makes me feel better for ignoring them :)
Dave H

Postby Dave H » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:55 pm

My interpretation of the sign, rightly or wrongly, is that vehicle access to the northern end is not permitted.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”