Red Crowned Parakeet - Waipori Falls, Dunedin

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
jash95

Red Crowned Parakeet - Waipori Falls, Dunedin

Postby jash95 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:23 pm

Two individuals seen in beech forest on the upper Government track (02/12/21). Further north than I've known them to be.
0B9A5600.jpg
0B9A5600.jpg (396.11 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Davidthomas

Re: Red Crowned Parakeet - Waipori Falls, Dunedin

Postby Davidthomas » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:00 am

That’s a pretty awesome record. Where would the nearest source population be? The Catlins?
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:23 pm

Surely way to far from the Catlins - assuming there are still R/C there?
Have they re-introduced R/C to Orokonui - that's a bit closer and more likely to wander if just introduced - or maybe more likely escaped/released captive birds?

Cheers
jim
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:49 pm

Yes there are Red-crowned kakariki in the Catlins and no it is not too far for a couple to fly from. There are no other populations in the South Island apart from Rakiura and the ones on Bluff Hill. Orokonui does not yet have kakariki because DOC halted all kakariki translocations while deciding where next to put Orange-fronted. It’s a very exciting record, and hopefully no kakariki are missing from Dunedin Botanic Gardens aviaries..
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info Oscar - I had wondered why Orokonui had not tried a re-introduction - although I assume they would try Y/C first (or Orange Fronted if suitable).
For sure they could come from the Catlins (have wings will fly!) - but I would think that was an unusual dispersal across what looks like a lot of farmland - it's not like the Catlins is overflowing with R/Cs.

I'm sure you are aware that there are also likely to be quite a few private breeders that will have kakariki around Dunedin and further afield.

Cheers
jim
Blake

Postby Blake » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:22 am

Hey I just saw 2 Red-crowned kākāriki at Waipori falls on saturday (18/06/22). Maybe the same pair you saw! Pretty cool to see them close to Dunedin
Phil Rhodes

Postby Phil Rhodes » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:42 am

Hi Oscar, we have a population of Red Crowned parakeet breeding in the Otatara Scenic reserve near Invercargill, they are regularly seen and heard and have been there for a number of years.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”